Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Harry Rogers

Default Snakes

Just went out in the garden (6pm'ish). Its been 34C this afternoon. Trying
hard to get into our pond through the netting I have to keep out the rotten
Heron was a 1 metre long Grass snake with a fat belly. Had to cut the
netting a bit and grab it and put it in a bucket with a lid on. Took it up
the road to our local pond. Took off the lid and a skinny snake shot out
leaving behind in the bucket 3 dead frogs. Boy did it stink. Cant wash my
hands enough. Sorry Mr Snake for upsetting your digestive track.

I guess its that time of year again.

Harry

Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Mike

In article , Harry Rogers harryroge
writes
Just went out in the garden (6pm'ish). Its been 34C this afternoon. Trying
hard to get into our pond through the netting I have to keep out the rotten
Heron was a 1 metre long Grass snake with a fat belly. Had to cut the
netting a bit and grab it and put it in a bucket with a lid on. Took it up
the road to our local pond. Took off the lid and a skinny snake shot out
leaving behind in the bucket 3 dead frogs. Boy did it stink. Cant wash my
hands enough. Sorry Mr Snake for upsetting your digestive track.

I guess its that time of year again.

Harry

Just, 9.20pm come in from the garden where we saw a Common Toad!! and we
read this story :-((

Mike

Bringing up teenagers is like trying to nail jelly to a tree

Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Eric

Harry

I had this problem last year. It sounds exactly like my garden and pond!

Keeping herons out of a pond is one problem but how the blazes do you keep
out grass snakes, I would like to know?

My little 'friend' was about the same size as yours and he had many of my
best fish during several weeks of the summer. I had always believed that
they swallowed them whole, but not a bit of it. I caught him eating the best
flesh off a lovely great fish, on the garden path, one day, and found
several more similarly killed in the bushes around the pond, later.

I'm pleased to say that he hasn't appeared this summer but I am always
expecting a repeat as the river is just behind my garden.

As far as the herons are concerned I have found that two pairs of CDs
suspended just above the water appear to have completely frightened the
herons away. They look just like a pair of eyes and rotating in the
slightest breeze creates an ever changing pattern of flashing spectral
colours. (At last I have found a use for all those blasted AOL CDs they send
me!)

Eric