Old 09-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Evelyn Usher

Default Easily maintained garden?

Hi there,

As I am away from home a lot. Could anyone suggest a easily looked after
garden? I love conifers and rodedendrom and hydrangeas. My garden is
sheltered and does not get much sun.

Evelyn
Old 09-08-2003, 08:03 PM
bnd777

"Evelyn Usher" wrote in message
.. .
Hi there,

As I am away from home a lot. Could anyone suggest a easily looked after
garden? I love conifers and rodedendrom and hydrangeas. My garden is
sheltered and does not get much sun.

Evelyn

Some conifers will be ok but definitely NOT Leylandii or Lawsons they will
get out of hand .......mind you if we get year after year of hot weather
none of them will like it

Rhodos are pretty tolerant providing you have acid soil they simply wont
grow in alkaline soils

Hydrangeas need lots of water

Old 11-08-2003, 09:13 AM
anton

Evelyn Usher wrote in message ...
Hi there,

As I am away from home a lot. Could anyone suggest a easily looked after
garden? I love conifers and rodedendrom and hydrangeas. My garden is
sheltered and does not get much sun.

Get the hard landscaping done correctly, and maintaining
the garden will be easier. If you have a lawn, make sure
that you have edging that can be mowed over. Have some paving where you
hang out the laundry.

For the planting, think about a smaller number of big things rather than
lots of little ones. (Clearly keep it in scale- don't go for Forestry
Commission conifers!)

--
Anton