GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Getting rid of yew stumps - advice please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/40145-getting-rid-yew-stumps-advice-please.html)

Rusty Hinge 16-08-2003 12:33 AM

Getting rid of yew stumps - advice please

The message
from (Mike Lyle) contains these words:

Sad, though. Of course the garden must be the way you want it, and
it's good sense to treat garden trees as disposable, and relatively
young yews aren't endangered; but I can't help reflecting that the
oldest living tree in Europe may be an ancient yew in Scotland. I'd
love to think a tree I planted might still be there in two or three
thousand years' time.

Aye, at Fortingall under Ben Lawers. Believed to be about three thousand
years old. It was known to have been a venerable specimen when the
Romans were there. (And they didn't get much further.) [1]

--
Rusty
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to

[1] Those Rangers' and Celtic fans....