Old 11-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Judy Donovan

Default Getting rid of yew stumps - advice please

Hi,
We have just cut down a yew hedge and are left with a long row of stumps and
roots - these are very sturdy so will take a bit of removing. Does anyone
know anyway to make this easier? I was wondering about applying something
to the stumps to try and kill them before trying to dig them up - would that
make it easier? they're very secure in the ground at the moment and it will
take some doing I think.

Thanks to all those who replied to my request for advice on pruning the old
rose - it was a big help.
Regards
Judy

Old 11-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Annabel

"Judy Donovan" wrote in message
Hi,
We have just cut down a yew hedge and are left with a long row of

stumps and
roots - these are very sturdy so will take a bit of removing. Does

anyone
know anyway to make this easier? I was wondering about applying

something
to the stumps to try and kill them before trying to dig them up -

would that
make it easier? they're very secure in the ground at the moment and

it will
take some doing I think.

Thanks to all those who replied to my request for advice on pruning

the old
rose - it was a big help.
Regards
Judy

You could always call in professional with a stump grinder, As I
understand it health and safety doesn't allow you to hire one.

Annabel

Old 11-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Annabel wrote:
"Judy Donovan" wrote in message
Hi,
We have just cut down a yew hedge and are left with a long row of

stumps and
roots - these are very sturdy so will take a bit of removing. Does

anyone
know anyway to make this easier? I was wondering about applying

something
to the stumps to try and kill them before trying to dig them up -

would that
make it easier? they're very secure in the ground at the moment and

it will
take some doing I think.

You could always call in professional with a stump grinder, As I
understand it health and safety doesn't allow you to hire one.

They can certainly be dug up, though it is not easy if they are
of any size. They won't rot in a month of Sundays, whatever
you put on them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:13 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Judy Donovan" contains these words:

We have just cut down a yew hedge and are left with a long row of stumps and
roots - these are very sturdy so will take a bit of removing. Does anyone
know anyway to make this easier? I was wondering about applying something
to the stumps to try and kill them before trying to dig them up - would that
make it easier? they're very secure in the ground at the moment and it will
take some doing I think.

Drill a hole into them and pour in battery acid. Careful! The stuff
isn't neutralised by hydrocarbons, carbohydrates etc, it just carries on
removing the elements of water, leaving carbon eventually.

However, if you dig them out and don't damage them too much in doing so,
woodcarvers, turners, stickmakers &c would give their eye teeth for
them.

What have you done with the above-ground wood?

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:14 AM
Jim Paterson

"Judy Donovan" wrote in message
Hi,
We have just cut down a yew hedge and are left with a long row of stumps

and
roots - these are very sturdy so will take a bit of removing. Does anyone
know anyway to make this easier? I was wondering about applying something
to the stumps to try and kill them before trying to dig them up - would

that
make it easier? they're very secure in the ground at the moment and it

will
take some doing I think.

Thanks to all those who replied to my request for advice on pruning the

old
rose - it was a big help.
Regards
Judy

I hve experienced this several times with Leylandii hedges and there is no
easy way. Dig round each stump and saw through any roots you expose then
(assuming you have left a long enough piece of trunk) lever the stump back
and forth until it gives. Of course the easiest way is to get someone else
to do it for you. Jim

Old 12-08-2003, 11:04 AM
bigboard

Judy Donovan wrote:
Hi,
We have just cut down a yew hedge and are left with a long row of stumps and
roots - these are very sturdy so will take a bit of removing. Does anyone
know anyway to make this easier? I was wondering about applying something
to the stumps to try and kill them before trying to dig them up - would that
make it easier? they're very secure in the ground at the moment and it will
take some doing I think.

Thanks to all those who replied to my request for advice on pruning the old
rose - it was a big help.
Regards
Judy

If the stumps aren't too close to a neighbour or a road, one method is
to drill holes in the stumps, fill the holes with sodium chlorate, and
then cover. Leave for a month or so to soak in, then build a small fire
over the stump. The stumps will burn very well.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Victoria Clare

"Jim Paterson" wrote in
:

I hve experienced this several times with Leylandii hedges and there
is no easy way. Dig round each stump and saw through any roots you
expose then (assuming you have left a long enough piece of trunk)
lever the stump back and forth until it gives. Of course the easiest
way is to get someone else to do it for you. Jim

Yew will be a much bigger job than leylandii though - the wood is more
flexible, and I think they have a different (deeper) root pattern. Plus
they may well re-grow from the stumps, if the hedge was well-established:
yew is very resilient!

I once lived in a house with an old yew tree on a steep bank. We looked at
getting the yew tree removed, but were advised that if the roots came out,
the bank would collapse, taking our house with it! We left it where it
was...

Victoria
Old 12-08-2003, 03:05 PM
david

Do you live in the country? If so, and if access is suitable, a tractor
would pull them out with a chain, so long as the stump is long enough. JCB
even better - the job becomes trivial.
David

Old 14-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Mike Lyle

"david" wrote in message ...
Do you live in the country? If so, and if access is suitable, a tractor
would pull them out with a chain, so long as the stump is long enough. JCB
even better - the job becomes trivial.
David

"Judy Donovan" wrote in message
Hi,
We have just cut down a yew hedge and are left with a long row of stumps

and
roots - these are very sturdy so will take a bit of removing. Does anyone
know anyway to make this easier? I was wondering about applying something
to the stumps to try and kill them before trying to dig them up - would

that
make it easier? they're very secure in the ground at the moment and it

will
take some doing I think.

[...]

Sad, though. Of course the garden must be the way you want it, and
it's good sense to treat garden trees as disposable, and relatively
young yews aren't endangered; but I can't help reflecting that the
oldest living tree in Europe may be an ancient yew in Scotland. I'd
love to think a tree I planted might still be there in two or three
thousand years' time.

Mike.

Old 15-08-2003, 04:33 AM
Earnest Trawler

[...]

I know what you mean Mike. Two miles from me is an ancient yew tree
estimated to be 1600 years old, every time I see it I imagine this little
sapling sitting there as the last of the Roman legions packed up and left.

Earnest Trawler

Old 15-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Mike Lyle

"Earnest Trawler" wrote in message ...
[...]
I can't help reflecting that the
oldest living tree in Europe may be an ancient yew in Scotland. I'd
love to think a tree I planted might still be there in two or three
thousand years' time.

Mike.

I know what you mean Mike. Two miles from me is an ancient yew tree
estimated to be 1600 years old, every time I see it I imagine this little
sapling sitting there as the last of the Roman legions packed up and left.

Thanks, ET, for a beautiful mental movie, which I'll be running all
day! In fact, several different movies: I've already been through ones
with different weather, fiery wartime skies, miserably trudging
legionaries, cheerful "We're out of here!" homeward-bound
legionaries...all with this little seedling in the foreground.

Mike.