GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Identification of small blue flowers please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/40234-identification-small-blue-flowers-please.html)

Andy Roberts 12-08-2003 11:13 AM

Identification of small blue flowers please

Please can some kind sould identify the small blue flowers in the
picture at
http://tinyurl.co.uk/xi6f

The french name for them would also be handy but I expect I can look
that up from the English or Latin.

( The large pink ones are surfinias )

Thanks,

Andy Roberts

Barry & Iris McCanna 12-08-2003 11:26 AM

"Andy Roberts" wrote in message

Please can some kind sould identify the small blue flowers in the
picture at
http://tinyurl.co.uk/xi6f

The french name for them would also be handy but I expect I can look
that up from the English or Latin.

( The large pink ones are surfinias )

Thanks,

Andy Roberts

Andy,

Pretty sure they are lobelia. The french name is: Lobelie.

HTH
Iris McCanna

Victoria Clare 12-08-2003 11:26 AM

Identification of small blue flowers please

Andy Roberts wrote in
:

Please can some kind sould identify the small blue flowers in the
picture at
http://tinyurl.co.uk/xi6f

The french name for them would also be handy but I expect I can look
that up from the English or Latin.

Hey! this one I know!

In english: Lobelia or trailing lobelia
in latin : Lobelia erinus

it's an annual which will self-seed in warm climates: popular for hanging
baskets, but does need plenty of water. Lots of colours are available, and
I'm not sure of the variety name of this particular one.

Victoria

Andy Roberts 12-08-2003 12:42 PM

Identification of small blue flowers please

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:24:43 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

Andy Roberts wrote in
:

Please can some kind sould identify the small blue flowers in the
picture at
http://tinyurl.co.uk/xi6f

The french name for them would also be handy but I expect I can look
that up from the English or Latin.

Hey! this one I know!

In english: Lobelia or trailing lobelia
in latin : Lobelia erinus

it's an annual which will self-seed in warm climates: popular for hanging
baskets, but does need plenty of water. Lots of colours are available, and
I'm not sure of the variety name of this particular one.

Victoria

Many thanks to Victoria and Iris,

You're right they must be lobelia - they're not really blue at all,
some shade of purple.

Nick Gray 13-08-2003 11:03 AM

Identification of small blue flowers please

"Andy Roberts" wrote in message

Please can some kind sould identify the small blue flowers in the
picture at
http://tinyurl.co.uk/xi6f

The french name for them would also be handy but I expect I can look
that up from the English or Latin.

( The large pink ones are surfinias )

Thanks,

Andy Roberts

Hi Andy,

The small blue ones are Lobelia (Lobelia erinus) - Sapphire trailing or
Crystal Palace
The large pink ones are Petunia (Solanaceae) - probably Resisto Series

HTH

Cheers

Nick