Old 14-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Kay Easton

Default Tomatoes & Bordeaux mixture

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
I have just picked my first tomatoes for 5 years, having lost all to
blight for the last 4 years.
This year for the first time I have used Bordeaux Mixture which is
suggested as the nearest organic control.

There is no constituent in Bordeaux mixture which is organic. Its two
components, copper sulphate and calcium hydroxide, are both quite strictly
*inorganic*.

In the chemical sense that is absolutely true. In the gardening sense,
BM may well be as organic as rainwater ;-) Wouldn't it be nice if
different subjects didn't use the same words to mean different things?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 14-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , martin
writes
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:18:10 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Unless my memory is letting me down, the anhydrous copper sulphate is
hygroscopic and absorbs its water of crystallisation from moisture in the
air, thus re-acquiring its colour.

Ah the joys of O level chemistry :-)

hey - if Franz has been gardening for 70 years, it may even be the joys
of School cert chemistry!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 14-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

Unless my memory is letting me down, the anhydrous copper sulphate is
hygroscopic and absorbs its water of crystallisation from moisture in

the
air, thus re-acquiring its colour.

Ah the joys of O level chemistry :-)

hey - if Franz has been gardening for 70 years, it may even be the joys
of School cert chemistry!

Yes, except that it was not school cert., but matric.
I was educated in South Africa. I got so sick and tired of yet another
course in South African history that in my last two years at school I opted
for taking Agriculture, which was one of the subjects in which I
matriculated. Hence the abiding interest in gardening.
I did garden from the age of 10. I had a vegetable plot at home, in which I
grew carrots, beetroot, beans and onions, which I disposed of in the weekly
auction market in the village where I lived. It was in fact my sole source
of pocket money.

Franz

Old 14-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(Franz Heymann) wrote:

There is no constituent in Bordeaux mixture which is organic. Its

two
components, copper sulphate and calcium hydroxide, are both quite
strictly *inorganic*.

Similarly, don't use an inorganic mental hoe to deal with weeds, use a
nice organic herbicide like 2,4 D :-)

The proliferation of weeds in my garden must be due to the use of a

mental
hoe rather than a metal hoe. {:-)

I've got a mental hoe like that, and I use it an awful lot, like my
mental secateurs and mental lawnmower.

We lumpen-peasants do actually know that Bordeaux mixture is not of
biological origin, just as we know that water is a chemical compound.
But it's perfectly understandable and entirely forgivable if people
use "organic" to mean "approved for use on organically-grown crops".

What exactly is the purpose of these objections? If it's the promotion
of good precise written English, then I'm with you all the way. If, on
the other hand, it's an attempt to disprove the theoretical basis of
organic crop-production, then (a) it doesn't, and (b) why do you want
to do that?

What I mainly object to is the amount of bullshit and unsubstantiated
folklore which is part and parcel of organic crop production.

Franz

Old 14-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
I have just picked my first tomatoes for 5 years, having lost all to
blight for the last 4 years.
This year for the first time I have used Bordeaux Mixture which is
suggested as the nearest organic control.

There is no constituent in Bordeaux mixture which is organic. Its two
components, copper sulphate and calcium hydroxide, are both quite

strictly
*inorganic*.

In the chemical sense that is absolutely true. In the gardening sense,
BM may well be as organic as rainwater ;-) Wouldn't it be nice if
different subjects didn't use the same words to mean different things?

Agreed.

Franz