Old 13-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Ronald Hickey

Default Caterpillar identification

Can anyone identify this caterpillar? (Sorry for the picture quality)

http://www.floydian.dsl.pipex.com/Caterpillar1.jpg
http://www.floydian.dsl.pipex.com/Caterpillar2.jpg
http://www.floydian.dsl.pipex.com/Caterpillar3.jpg
http://www.floydian.dsl.pipex.com/Caterpillar4.jpg

--
Ronald Hickey
Old 13-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Pickle

"Ronald Hickey" wrote in message
news

Can anyone identify this caterpillar? (Sorry for the picture quality)

Ronald Hickey

Think it's a death's head hawkmoth. Is it very large (2-3 inches?)

Old 13-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Ronald Hickey

In message , Pickle
writes

"Ronald Hickey" wrote in message
news

Can anyone identify this caterpillar? (Sorry for the picture quality)

Ronald Hickey

Think it's a death's head hawkmoth. Is it very large (2-3 inches?)

Yeah very big,

--
Ronald Hickey
Old 13-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Pickle

"Ronald Hickey" wrote in message
In message , Pickle
writes

"Ronald Hickey" wrote in message
news

Can anyone identify this caterpillar? (Sorry for the picture quality)

Ronald Hickey

Think it's a death's head hawkmoth. Is it very large (2-3 inches?)

Yeah very big,

Wish I had found it! It looks gorgeous. Where did you find it, was there
just the one?

Old 14-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Ronald Hickey

In message , Pickle
writes

Wish I had found it! It looks gorgeous. Where did you find it, was there
just the one?

Yeah, it fell out of a bush I was watering. Wasn't harmed by it's
shower.

--
Ronald Hickey

Old 14-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Neil Jones

"Pickle" wrote in message ...
"Ronald Hickey" wrote in message
news

Can anyone identify this caterpillar? (Sorry for the picture quality)

Ronald Hickey

Think it's a death's head hawkmoth. Is it very large (2-3 inches?)

Yes, that is exactly what it is. A very lucky find.

--
Neil Jones- http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn
Old 14-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Ronald Hickey

In message , Neil Jones
writes
"Pickle" wrote in message
"Ronald Hickey" wrote in message
news

Can anyone identify this caterpillar? (Sorry for the picture quality)

Ronald Hickey

Think it's a death's head hawkmoth. Is it very large (2-3 inches?)

Yes, that is exactly what it is. A very lucky find.

What do you think I should do with it, today I saw an article on the BBC
news website about a find in Wales where they say it's very rare to find
it in this country. Should I call someone ie. London Zoo/Natural History
Museum?

I currently have it in a container with plenty of leaves, it certainly
eats 'em fast enough!

--
Ronald Hickey
Old 14-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Helen

Please continue to feed it leaves from the plant it fell out of. You
need to put the caterpillar in a container which has at least 6" of
earth or equivalent in the bottom because the caterpillar will soon
burrow down into it to make a crysalis underground. Keep the crysalis
safe in a cool place overwinter and eventually it will hatch next
spring into a Death's Head Hawk Moth - the largest moth in this
country and one which also squeaks!! Honest! I am very jealous.
Helen