GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Passiflora Cultivars? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/40423-passiflora-cultivars.html)

Jim W 14-08-2003 07:32 PM

Passiflora Cultivars?

Am I right in thinking that the Passiflora cultivars commonly sold with
'just' a Genus and Cultivar name such as Passiflora 'Constance Elliott'
and Passiflora 'Amythyst' 'Purple Rain' etc are in fact P. caerula
hybrid cultivars??

So should be pretty hardy?

I am getting quite a collection of Passiflora here;-)
//
Jim

Nick Maclaren 14-08-2003 08:12 PM

Passiflora Cultivars?

In article 1fzp483.uybtbyjismvN%00senetnospamtodayta@macunli mited.net,
Jim W wrote:
Am I right in thinking that the Passiflora cultivars commonly sold with
'just' a Genus and Cultivar name such as Passiflora 'Constance Elliott'
and Passiflora 'Amythyst' 'Purple Rain' etc are in fact P. caerula
hybrid cultivars??

So should be pretty hardy?

No. Constance Elliott is, but is less hardy than the blue form.
Amethyst isn't, and is a less hardy hybrid. Purple Rain, I don't
know about.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jim W 14-08-2003 10:14 PM

Passiflora Cultivars?

Nick Maclaren wrote:

So should be pretty hardy?

No. Constance Elliott is, but is less hardy than the blue form.
Amethyst isn't, and is a less hardy hybrid. Purple Rain, I don't
know about.

Amythyst is less hardy? Its listed as down to -8C.. That is one of
the ones I managed to find information on..

ANyway.. Thanks.. I will take cuttings as backup and see what I can get
away with.. We are quite sheltered here in London anyway..
//
Jim

Nick Maclaren 15-08-2003 08:42 AM

Passiflora Cultivars?

In article 1fzpavb.6hz3aa1mxc4s9N%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net, (Jim W) writes:
| Nick Maclaren wrote:
|
| So should be pretty hardy?
|
| No. Constance Elliott is, but is less hardy than the blue form.
| Amethyst isn't, and is a less hardy hybrid. Purple Rain, I don't
| know about.
|
| Amythyst is less hardy? Its listed as down to -8C.. That is one of
| the ones I managed to find information on..

See the climate FAQ :-)

Yes, Amethyst is less hardy than the common P. caerulea. The
key to UK hardiness is NOT their ability to take cold, but
their ability to take winter wet, especially when COMBINED with
intermittent frost. That is why P. caerulea is a LONG way the
hardiest in the UK, but nowhere near the hardiest in the USA.

This is based on second hand information, but I am 95% certain
that it is reliable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Charlie Pridham 15-08-2003 10:02 AM

Passiflora Cultivars?

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fzpavb.6hz3aa1mxc4s9N%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Nick Maclaren wrote:

So should be pretty hardy?

No. Constance Elliott is, but is less hardy than the blue form.
Amethyst isn't, and is a less hardy hybrid. Purple Rain, I don't
know about.

Amythyst is less hardy? Its listed as down to -8C.. That is one of
the ones I managed to find information on..

ANyway.. Thanks.. I will take cuttings as backup and see what I can get
away with.. We are quite sheltered here in London anyway..
//
Jim

Beware temp listings for passiflora, only P. caerulea is remotely hardy in
the UK "all the time" P. Amethyst is likely to survive -1 and then only if
not too wet. P. Purple haze and Purple Rain are both caerulea X Amethyst,
and are a bit hardier. P. incarnata hybrids are often sold as hardy but
dislike winter wet (used to the ground freezing in winter) Cuttings are
always a good idea!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk