Old 14-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Jim W

Default Passiflora Cultivars?

Am I right in thinking that the Passiflora cultivars commonly sold with
'just' a Genus and Cultivar name such as Passiflora 'Constance Elliott'
and Passiflora 'Amythyst' 'Purple Rain' etc are in fact P. caerula
hybrid cultivars??

So should be pretty hardy?

I am getting quite a collection of Passiflora here;-)
//
Jim
Old 14-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article 1fzp483.uybtbyjismvN%00senetnospamtodayta@macunli mited.net,
Jim W wrote:
Am I right in thinking that the Passiflora cultivars commonly sold with
'just' a Genus and Cultivar name such as Passiflora 'Constance Elliott'
and Passiflora 'Amythyst' 'Purple Rain' etc are in fact P. caerula
hybrid cultivars??

So should be pretty hardy?

No. Constance Elliott is, but is less hardy than the blue form.
Amethyst isn't, and is a less hardy hybrid. Purple Rain, I don't
know about.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Jim W

Nick Maclaren wrote:

So should be pretty hardy?

No. Constance Elliott is, but is less hardy than the blue form.
Amethyst isn't, and is a less hardy hybrid. Purple Rain, I don't
know about.

Amythyst is less hardy? Its listed as down to -8C.. That is one of
the ones I managed to find information on..

ANyway.. Thanks.. I will take cuttings as backup and see what I can get
away with.. We are quite sheltered here in London anyway..
//
Jim

Old 15-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fzpavb.6hz3aa1mxc4s9N%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Nick Maclaren wrote:

So should be pretty hardy?

No. Constance Elliott is, but is less hardy than the blue form.
Amethyst isn't, and is a less hardy hybrid. Purple Rain, I don't
know about.

Amythyst is less hardy? Its listed as down to -8C.. That is one of
the ones I managed to find information on..

ANyway.. Thanks.. I will take cuttings as backup and see what I can get
away with.. We are quite sheltered here in London anyway..
//
Jim

Beware temp listings for passiflora, only P. caerulea is remotely hardy in
the UK "all the time" P. Amethyst is likely to survive -1 and then only if
not too wet. P. Purple haze and Purple Rain are both caerulea X Amethyst,
and are a bit hardier. P. incarnata hybrids are often sold as hardy but
dislike winter wet (used to the ground freezing in winter) Cuttings are
always a good idea!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk