Old 14-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Sharon Hughes

Default Oh dear, it's all gone horribly wrong!

Hello All

I've been a fan of this group for quite a while now but have been off line for around 7 months or so (I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before, but I'm desperate!) busy with a 'new' courtyard garden - and I have to say it's been a real learning curve - one that I haven't done very well on!

I would so appreciate anyone that might have advice on how to naturally deal with infestations of caterpillars and vine weevil. I've been out and bought some over the counter stuff for vine weevil, but I have to say it's pretty pricey, not as pricey as replacing plants of course, but I just wondered if anyone might know of a home made recipe or a natural biological remedy? (Plus: I used loads and the damage is still being done!) The caterpillars are the latest infestation and have done huge damage (can't relax either now in the garden, always watching out for the beasties). In my last garden slugs were a huge problem so this lot have really taken me by surprise.

I would like to think that there is a natural combination that can be found to not encourage these blighters - I don't have frogs or birds here in this garden (got my own 'pest' living in aka the cat, plus it's a built up area with little in the way of green stuff) so am a bit stuck on the knowledge front otherwise.

As most of the infrastructure stuff was only finished a couple of months ago I decided to fill up this year with lots of annuals in pots, I think this might have had a lot to do with it? I've noticed that any perennials I have in pots have mostly been left alone, sort of.

I was so pleased to start seeing a bit of 'wildlife' coming into what was previously a concrete wasteland but am feeling a little despondent at the mo, any advice would be very gratefully received.

Yours, with the tattiest geraniums in the world, the holiest cannas ever seen..... and so on and so on

Old 14-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Jim W

Sharon Hughes wrote:

[...]

Vine weevil

Use biological controls (the new ones have a wider active temperature
range) These can be effective.

Avoid stuff in pots..(OK so you're probably gonna hate me for that one!)
Put grease around the exterior of pots as a physical barrier. Keep clear
of bridging debris and check regularly.

Use yellow sticky traps..

Hunt for adult weevils at night and destroy.

Start using only soil based composts
Stop using soft loose peat based composts or similar alternatives. Vine
weevil are a 'new' problem brought on by the uprise in the global
Horticultural trade.

Try to avoid plants 'favoured' by vine weevil (polyanthus and Fuchsia
seem o be favourites, though they will try almost anything..)

Encourage predator insects & birds such as robins and tits into your
garden by feeding, and providing food plants. Better seeds and food
sources from single flowers forms and fruiting shrubs.

I wouldn't bet on the perrenials in pots.. (Have you checked the soil?)

Where abouts are you? Good luck and my commiserations..

See also the Vine Weevil FAQ... Stuff on the RHS and HDRA sites etc
etc..

Maybe a little careful searching for some very 'tough' plants as well in
these seemingly adverse conditions?
//
Jim