Old 18-08-2003, 12:42 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default OT - birdnapper racked with guilt :-( - update

"Druss" wrote in message
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

we have had an injured juvenile Jackdaw in the garden - couldn't fly and

was
hiding in the shrubbery at the bottom of the garden and coming out to

circle
our little pond.

The parents were keeping an eye on it and shouting at our cats if they
ventured out into the garden.

We first saw it around 09:00 and it was still there at 14:00 -

conclusion
was that it wasn't going anywhere soon.

Rang the Blue Cross who put us onto a local women who rescues wildlife.

She came and checked the bird out, and agreed with us that it wasn't fit
enough to survive outside, so she has taken it to her aviary for R&R and
some antibiotics.

She will bring it back and release it here as soon as it has recovered -

she
thinks it will recover fairly quickly.

Very strange - the bird was bald on the back of its head and also had

some
damage at the base of the tail on the top.
The knees were abraded and bleeding slightly.
The bird could flutter but not fly.
I have never seen a bald bird before and am puzzled over the reason.

The guilt is due to the constant searching by the parents who keep

flying
round calling, perching in trees and on our roof.

No way to tell them that junior is in good hands and should be back in a

few
days.
I just hope that they remember the little tyke when it is recovered.

Meanwhile I am haunted by the harsh cries of "Ba**ard - what have you

done
with my baby!" on a regular basis :-(

Ho hum
Dave R
--

Update - the Jackdaw is recovered and has been released today!
The kind lady from the Small Animal Rescue has kept him in an aviary and fed

Cheers
Dave R

Old 24-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Mike Lyle

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
[...rescued lackdaw...]

You probably know it already, but Konrad Lorenz's *King Solomon's
Ring* has some lovely stuff on domestic jackdaws.

Mike