GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Privet problems! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/40837-privet-problems.html)

nic156 19-08-2003 12:54 PM

Privet problems!

I am currently in my first house and trying to tackle my first garden. I’d like to create a cottage garden feel with beautiful borders, but have neighbours’ six feet privet hedges on all three sides.
I have been disheartened to hear the hedge will be guzzling the richness from my soil. Is there anything I can do to prevent this or are there any plants that could cope with the conditions?

Please help a novice gardener!

Kay Easton 19-08-2003 04:03 PM

Privet problems!

In article m, nic156
writes
I am currently in my first house and trying to tackle my first garden.
I’d like to create a cottage garden feel with beautiful borders, but
have neighbours’ six feet privet hedges on all three sides.
I have been disheartened to hear the hedge will be guzzling the
richness from my soil. Is there anything I can do to prevent this or
are there any plants that could cope with the conditions?

It's only a problem close up to the hedge. And you'll find it quite
handy to have an 'access path' between your garden and the hedge when it
comes to hedge cutting time.

As to the rest .. how big is the garden? How much of it gets sun? Is it
to the N or S of the house? Are you on dry sandy soil or sticky clay?
All this governs the sort of things you will want to grow.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

nic156 19-08-2003 05:40 PM

My garden is approximately 50ft long and 24ft wide. I have a shed and seating area at the far end and had planned to run the border the length of the garden next to the hedge at varying depths.

The garden is south facing and the soil is quite sandy. I’ll give some thought to placing the path alongside the hedge, although this may prove awkward with the shape and contours of the lawn.

Many thanks