Old 19-08-2003, 12:54 PM
Registered User

Location: West Midlands
Default Privet problems!

I am currently in my first house and trying to tackle my first garden. I’d like to create a cottage garden feel with beautiful borders, but have neighbours’ six feet privet hedges on all three sides.
I have been disheartened to hear the hedge will be guzzling the richness from my soil. Is there anything I can do to prevent this or are there any plants that could cope with the conditions?

Please help a novice gardener!
Old 19-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article m, nic156
writes
I am currently in my first house and trying to tackle my first garden.
I’d like to create a cottage garden feel with beautiful borders, but
have neighbours’ six feet privet hedges on all three sides.
I have been disheartened to hear the hedge will be guzzling the
richness from my soil. Is there anything I can do to prevent this or
are there any plants that could cope with the conditions?

It's only a problem close up to the hedge. And you'll find it quite
handy to have an 'access path' between your garden and the hedge when it
comes to hedge cutting time.

As to the rest .. how big is the garden? How much of it gets sun? Is it
to the N or S of the house? Are you on dry sandy soil or sticky clay?
All this governs the sort of things you will want to grow.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 19-08-2003, 05:40 PM
Registered User

Location: West Midlands

My garden is approximately 50ft long and 24ft wide. I have a shed and seating area at the far end and had planned to run the border the length of the garden next to the hedge at varying depths.

The garden is south facing and the soil is quite sandy. I’ll give some thought to placing the path alongside the hedge, although this may prove awkward with the shape and contours of the lawn.

Many thanks

Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 08:55 AM
[IBC] Unhappy Privet Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 2 20-02-2003 12:51 AM
Privet Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 03:25 AM
Privet hedge and camoflauge Micko United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 08:19 AM