Old 20-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Brian Mitchell

Default The Poppies of Apian Bliss?

Hi,

can anyone identify a flower with a head of tiny florets like dusky
magenta broccoli? Its leaves are narrow, slightly-spiked ovals without
stalks arranged spirally round a stem which bleeds from magenta to green
--up to two feet tall, tho' these are leaning out for landing room.

And like a scene from The Lotuseaters, couched on these sumptuous beds,
barely able to twitch their lapsed wings, bees of every size and
description, from bumbling giants to slender nymphs, nod and drowse in
the darkening air, their abdomens faintly pumping. No prodding or
remonstrance will induce them to fly.

No surprise, because the flower has a comfy, upholstered scent (mildly
reminiscent of buddleia), like long summer evening train journeys taken
in childhood.

Is it fatal for the bees, or do they recover a proper sense of
themselves in the cool of the dawn?

Brian MItchell
Old 20-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"Brian Mitchell" wrote in message
[...]

Are you talking about Sedum spectabile? It is a good plant for attracting
butterflies, and in my patch it is just about to come into bloom. Like Omar
Khayyam, the butterflies are hovering at the pub door, waiting for it to
open.

Franz

Old 21-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Brian Mitchell

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Are you talking about Sedum spectabile? It is a good plant for attracting
butterflies, and in my patch it is just about to come into bloom. Like Omar
Khayyam, the butterflies are hovering at the pub door, waiting for it to
open.

Apparently I am. The variety "Rosenteller" looks the nearest to what I
have, tho' it's difficult to tell from thumbnail pics.

Now, what about those drunken bees?

Brian Mitchell

Old 21-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Franz Heymann

"Brian Mitchell" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

Are you talking about Sedum spectabile? It is a good plant for

attracting
butterflies, and in my patch it is just about to come into bloom. Like

Omar
Khayyam, the butterflies are hovering at the pub door, waiting for it to
open.

Apparently I am. The variety "Rosenteller" looks the nearest to what I
have, tho' it's difficult to tell from thumbnail pics.

Now, what about those drunken bees?

Gwan, they're only having a good time.

Franz

Autumn Bliss Advice please [email protected] United Kingdom 3 19-10-2006 10:58 PM
Oh Bliss! Anne Jackson United Kingdom 15 11-09-2006 05:39 PM
......... is bliss! Brian United Kingdom 12 14-11-2005 06:12 PM
Joys of Fungicide, Bliss of Insecticide! Shiva Roses 4 05-07-2003 11:20 PM
Raspberry choice? Autumn Bliss? Steve Harris United Kingdom 2 31-10-2002 01:51 AM