GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dying Privet (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/41254-dying-privet.html)

tiger 24-08-2003 02:27 PM

Dying Privet

I have a stretch of about 6 feet of dead privet in my back garden.
It seems to be spreading. Should I dig out and plant new Privet and if so does anyone know where I can get mature privet of about 5 feet high?
Please help.
tiger.:confused:

Chris Hogg 24-08-2003 09:03 PM

Dying Privet

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:32:32 GMT, tiger
wrote:

I have a stretch of about 6 feet of dead privet in my back garden.
It seems to be spreading. Should I dig out and plant new Privet and if
so does anyone know where I can get mature privet of about 5 feet
high?
Please help.
tiger.:confused:

ISTR that privet is very susceptible to honey fungus, which will work
its way along a hedge, much as you describe. Look for black bootlace
type things in the soil around the roots of the dead plants. Don't
know the cure, but IIRC it's not nice to have and not easy to get rid
of. Do a search on Google for honey fungus. If it is HF, don't try
planting new bushes there until the soil is well and truly sterilised,
as they'll just keel over straight away.

--
Chris

Michael Berridge 24-08-2003 11:02 PM

Dying Privet

tiger wrote in message
m...
I have a stretch of about 6 feet of dead privet in my back garden.
It seems to be spreading. Should I dig out and plant new Privet and if
so does anyone know where I can get mature privet of about 5 feet
high?
Please help.

Could be just that the ground has got too dry and it is stress, I've
noticed a whole load of trees and shrubs turning brown and losing leaves
in the last week or so.

Just scratch the bark, if it is green underneath then it will probably
recover next year, or even if we get a .load of rain soon. I've had to
take to watering my new pyracanthas due to the dry weather.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk