Old 24-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Registered User

Location: Birmingham
Unhappy Dying Privet

I have a stretch of about 6 feet of dead privet in my back garden.
It seems to be spreading. Should I dig out and plant new Privet and if so does anyone know where I can get mature privet of about 5 feet high?
Please help.
tiger.
Old 24-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Dying Privet

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:32:32 GMT, tiger
wrote:

I have a stretch of about 6 feet of dead privet in my back garden.
It seems to be spreading. Should I dig out and plant new Privet and if
so does anyone know where I can get mature privet of about 5 feet
high?
Please help.
tiger.

ISTR that privet is very susceptible to honey fungus, which will work
its way along a hedge, much as you describe. Look for black bootlace
type things in the soil around the roots of the dead plants. Don't
know the cure, but IIRC it's not nice to have and not easy to get rid
of. Do a search on Google for honey fungus. If it is HF, don't try
planting new bushes there until the soil is well and truly sterilised,
as they'll just keel over straight away.

--
Chris

Old 24-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Michael Berridge

tiger wrote in message
m...
I have a stretch of about 6 feet of dead privet in my back garden.
It seems to be spreading. Should I dig out and plant new Privet and if
so does anyone know where I can get mature privet of about 5 feet
high?
Please help.

Could be just that the ground has got too dry and it is stress, I've
noticed a whole load of trees and shrubs turning brown and losing leaves
in the last week or so.

Just scratch the bark, if it is green underneath then it will probably
recover next year, or even if we get a .load of rain soon. I've had to
take to watering my new pyracanthas due to the dry weather.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 08:55 AM
[IBC] Unhappy Privet Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 2 20-02-2003 12:51 AM
Privet Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 03:25 AM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM