Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Ellie100

Default Plants for a *really* sunny windowbox

Hi everyone

Not quite a first-time poster but almost, I hope someone can give me
some advice.

Our house (London, patio garden only so everything in containers)
faces south. I would like to put some window boxes on our front
windowsills, they get sun all day (when it's out) and are protected
from the rain by the overhang of the window frame above so are
generally pretty dry.

I was thinking one rectangular window box and a couple of pots. Any
suggestions for some attractive, smart-looking plants which like these
kind of conditions? I try to look after the plants as much as
possible but I work long hours so ideally need something which can
stand to be neglected and not watered for a few days (even in summer)
and which won't look too straggly in the winter (when I get home well
after dark and never even see the garden!)

I did wonder about a lavender bush by the front door itself, in the
hope we'll enjoy the smell as we walk back and forth. These seem to
cope well in hot dry conditions, any other recommendations?

Thanks for any help

Ellie