Old 25-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Ellie100

Default Plants for a *really* sunny windowbox

Hi everyone

Not quite a first-time poster but almost, I hope someone can give me
some advice.

Our house (London, patio garden only so everything in containers)
faces south. I would like to put some window boxes on our front
windowsills, they get sun all day (when it's out) and are protected
from the rain by the overhang of the window frame above so are
generally pretty dry.

I was thinking one rectangular window box and a couple of pots. Any
suggestions for some attractive, smart-looking plants which like these
kind of conditions? I try to look after the plants as much as
possible but I work long hours so ideally need something which can
stand to be neglected and not watered for a few days (even in summer)
and which won't look too straggly in the winter (when I get home well
after dark and never even see the garden!)

I did wonder about a lavender bush by the front door itself, in the
hope we'll enjoy the smell as we walk back and forth. These seem to
cope well in hot dry conditions, any other recommendations?

Thanks for any help

Ellie
Old 25-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Jim W

Ellie100 wrote:

[...]

Yes... You are thinking in the right direction..

Are you talking about summer or winter? If summer you can add all sorts
of tender succulents normally grown as houseplants..

Use troughs with water reservoirs.. These are fairly widely available
and will allow a day or 2 without watering even in the recent hot
weather (although its pushing it a bit in that really hot week we had).

Choose succulent alpines and similar that can cope with very dry hot
situations..

I am currently trialling these on my front windowsills (South facing, so
baking hot!)

You can also push cactus if you're lucky in London.. I have an Optunia
that is sold as hardy and propagates very easily. I intend to leave
some of the cuttings I've done in my 'hardy dry' troughs out all winter.

They contain, among other things.. A number of sedums and similar
succulents, Sempervivums (v hardy and LOTS of different types), thrifts,
dianthus and mini pinks, cactus,.. etc..

Dianthus downstairs have been flowering for ages.. Upstairs Echeverea
are still going strong..
In the semi-hardy trough (upstairs, I have 2 types of Bryophyllum
(mexican hat plant), a spiny Euphorbia, Echeveraea, Lampranthus and the
'furry'
A further semi hardy trough on my bedroom sill has a whole host of
stuff in and gets watered about 1 per week if that!-), It also has no
reservoir..
but this is NW facing so doesn't get the sun till post midday approx.

Piccies at:
http://tinyurl.com/l4tt is of Bryophyllum/Echeverea type flowers.
http://tinyurl.com/l4u6 is of the NW facing trough mainly filled with
'houseplants'

The Bryo's and Ech's have wild flowers which produce regularly.. Tall
spires with Neon pink and orange/yellow bells on which go on for about
2-3 months! Very neat!

I even have some Sempervivums and Sedums (just common ones) growing in
end of the gutter.. These just get water when it rains!-) Flowered well
this year!

We have these in our front wall, same aspect as the troughs but even
more exposed (further away from house)

You're welcome to a cutting if you wish.. Cotswolds Garden Flowers also
sells another cactus species that is described as hardy..

I have a couple of Alpine suppliers that I am looking at using for
adding winter colour and bulbs to my troughs as well. But most good
nurseries with wide stock range should be able to get you started with
suitable plants.. Use miniatures as you wish and try to avoid anything
too vigorous that will 'hog' the space..!-)

The important thing will be to ensure that you water them well to get
them established. First 2 - 4 weeks is most important

Another tip, DO use plastic troughs unless you really feel the need for
authenticity or are strong! Clay ones are very heavy when full of
compost!-)

On a similar note there is an article on Sedum planted roofs and 'making
your own' in the current copy of permaculture magazine.. A couple
'greened' their garage roof!-)
//
Jim

To Email, remove nospamtodayta from my email address
Old 25-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Ellie100
writes

I was thinking one rectangular window box and a couple of pots. Any
suggestions for some attractive, smart-looking plants which like these
kind of conditions? I try to look after the plants as much as
possible but I work long hours so ideally need something which can
stand to be neglected and not watered for a few days (even in summer)
and which won't look too straggly in the winter (when I get home well
after dark and never even see the garden!)

You could try various cacti and succulents - say aloes for spiky
attractive leaves and possibly spikes of orange flowers, trailing grey
leaved crassulas. These aren't normally hardy, but I have a window box
on an E wall in Leeds, window of a very marginally heated toilet, and
aloe and echeveria have lived there happily for several years. In
London, you stand an even better chance.

Some cacti will take surprisingly low temperatures if they can be kept
bone dry.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 26-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Ellie100

Thanks Kay, this sounds like a good idea. Getting something spiky
might also scare off the local cats and foxes who like to use my
containers as litter trays, and often dig up my plants and bulbs while
they're at it!