Old 02-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Mike

Default Suggestions for poor soil site ?

Several years ago I dug a semi-circle out of the front lawn to plant up
for more colour. In retrospect this seems to have been a bad idea as
nothing does well.

The spot is a close to a lime tree and not far from a section of
leylani, which are taking all the moisture and nutrients from the bed to
the extent that the soil cracks up in the summer, probably exacerbated
by the clay.

Can any one recommend and suitable types of plants, I'm tempted to go
with daffs as they'll grow anywhere, a sprinking of heathers for all
round colour and they something like impatiens for summer colour.

Sun wise, it tends to get shaded first thing and then full sun
thereafter.

Though I dug in a fair bit of compost initially and its gets a good
mulcing, Im intending to remove more of the soil and dig in yet more
compost.

Thanks
--
Mike Cox
Old 02-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

Why dig in the compost when the worms will do it eagerly for you? Just make
sure the patch stays damp.

Franz

Old 02-09-2003, 07:44 PM
bnd777

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

You said it ........close to a Lime tree and a load of Lleylandi ........you
are wasting your time unless you want to pile it high with compost every 6
months and water it every day then watch the lleylandi grow too

Old 02-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mike
writes

Several years ago I dug a semi-circle out of the front lawn to plant up
for more colour. In retrospect this seems to have been a bad idea as
nothing does well.

The spot is a close to a lime tree and not far from a section of
leylani, which are taking all the moisture and nutrients from the bed to
the extent that the soil cracks up in the summer, probably exacerbated
by the clay.

Can any one recommend and suitable types of plants, I'm tempted to go
with daffs as they'll grow anywhere,

Daffs don't like it too dry in summer.
Our native daffs grow in woodlands and in meadows along streamsides - at
least that's where you find them in Glos.

a sprinking of heathers for all
round colour

you can get heathers in flower all the year round and with a variety of
different coloured foliage, but many of them need a non-alkaline soil.
Do people grow rhododendrons in your area?

and they something like impatiens for summer colour.

If its dry in summer, try pelargoniums instead.

Though I dug in a fair bit of compost initially and its gets a good
mulcing, Im intending to remove more of the soil and dig in yet more
compost.

Always a good idea. Actually, just lying the compost on top works - the
earthworms will mix it in for you eventually.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 04-09-2003, 10:22 AM
DaveDay34

The spot is a close to a lime tree and not far from a section of
leylani, which are taking all the moisture and nutrients from the bed to
the extent that the soil cracks up in the summer, probably exacerbated
by the clay.

Can any one recommend and suitable types of plants, I'm tempted to go
with daffs as they'll grow anywhere, a sprinking of heathers for all
round colour and they something like impatiens for summer colour.

Try sedums. They are just coming into flower round here and they withstand dry
conditions and clay soils, at least round my way they do.

Dave.

Old 04-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Mike
writes

Though I dug in a fair bit of compost initially and its gets a good
mulcing, Im intending to remove more of the soil and dig in yet more
compost.

We have a faq (frequently asked question) on improving clay soil. Our
faqs can be found by following this link
www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Grass on poor soil aaj United Kingdom 5 22-07-2005 07:35 AM
? Poor draining soil under deck. [email protected] Gardening 10 05-03-2005 05:39 PM
Repairing poor soil drainage Torben Edliq Lawns 2 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Repairing poor soil drainage Torben Edliq Lawns 0 29-03-2003 05:08 PM
Repairing poor soil drainage Tom Kirkpatrick Lawns 0 27-03-2003 03:21 AM