GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Laurel Trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/42021-laurel-trees.html)

Kay Easton 04-09-2003 09:55 PM

Laurel Trees

In article , Rusty Hinge
writes
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Both black nightshade and woody nightshade are Solanum, and isn't
Solanum melongela the aubergine?

Black nightshade is Solanum nigrum and woody nightshade is S. dulcamara.

... which means bittersweet, which is its other common name. Beautiful
berries, especially when still ripening and changing from green through
yellow to red.

Aubergines are horrid, nasty, pithy, flavourless things.

They're wonderful if you slip a few slivers of garlic in and bake them
until soft.

Black
nightshade beats them by not being pithy.

Tomato is Lycopersicum esculentum, but I've completely forgotten what
the potato is.

It's a starchy tuber you get in greengrocers' shops.

Thank you ;-p
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Rusty Hinge 04-09-2003 10:57 PM

Laurel Trees

The message

The reason that I don't eat black nightshade, despite being fairly
adventurous, is that the Solanaceae are notorious for having plants
with some parts of some varieties at some stages of development
after some treatments that are edible and good, and the same plant
under other conditions causing permanent damage.

I have not yet seen a trustworthy description of the conditions
under which black nightshade is safe to eat, though I have seen a
fair number of statements that the cooked, ripe berry is. But none
of them were clear the exact species and/or variety (and it is a
VERY widespread species, so geographic strains or growing conditions
could be important).

It is gathered and eaten in more-or-less all the temperate to tropical
regions. I eat the (ripe) berries both raw and cooked and have (AFAICT)
suffered no ill-effects.

Tomato is Lycopersicum esculentum, but I've completely forgotten what
the potato is.

It's a starchy tuber you get in greengrocers' shops.

It is also Solanum tuberosum, and is quite commonly grown in UK
gardens.

Oh, so that's what I have growing in a big planter? (Tip from GQT: A
plastic drum, a layer of compost, a couple or three spuds, more compost.
Place another couple or three spuds on top, and when the first lot have
produced shoots, 'earth' them up until the second lot are sufficiently
covered to introduce another layer, and so-on.

I only have three layers, but expect the planter to be stuffed full of spuds.

--
Rusty
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to

Rusty Hinge 04-09-2003 10:59 PM

Laurel Trees

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Aubergines are horrid, nasty, pithy, flavourless things.

They're wonderful if you slip a few slivers of garlic in and bake them
until soft.

Nah, I'm being unkind. I just don't like the things, and never have
done. And for Nick's benefit, that includes home-grown - just not my
home.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Nick Maclaren 04-09-2003 11:25 PM

Laurel Trees

In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Aubergines are horrid, nasty, pithy, flavourless things.

They're wonderful if you slip a few slivers of garlic in and bake them
until soft.

Nah, I'm being unkind. I just don't like the things, and never have
done. And for Nick's benefit, that includes home-grown - just not my
home.

In a country that gets more than a few weeks of just warm sunshine?
And a variety that has NOT been bred for minimal bitterness?

Seriously, disliking aubergines is reasonable. But the reason that
they are flavourless is that they are bred and grown for minimal
bitterness, and that has the side-effect of achieving minimal
flavour. Think of the difference between supermarket "calabrese"
and homw grown purple sprouting broccoli.

The pithiness is largely an artifact of not cooking them properly,
often because of skimping on the olive oil - when fried, they soak
up an incredible amount, as in "The Imam Fainted".

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Franz Heymann 04-09-2003 11:34 PM

Laurel Trees

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message

Aubergines are horrid, nasty, pithy, flavourless things.

Not when fried with a goodly amount of garlick in virgin olive oil

Franz

Rusty Hinge 05-09-2003 12:13 AM

Laurel Trees

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:58:47 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message

Aubergines are horrid, nasty, pithy, flavourless things.

Not when fried with a goodly amount of garlick in virgin olive oil

That seems to be the standard answer to anything that is tasteless.
Last week it was puffballs, this week aubergines, next week horse
manure? :-)

No, but I might try it with black nightshade or garden 'huckleberries'.

Rusty Hinge 05-09-2003 12:13 AM

Laurel Trees

The message

Nah, I'm being unkind. I just don't like the things, and never have
done. And for Nick's benefit, that includes home-grown - just not my
home.

In a country that gets more than a few weeks of just warm sunshine?
And a variety that has NOT been bred for minimal bitterness?

I've had access to aubergines since before those were bred. I think my
first aubergine eggs perience was in the 'fifties, and yes, I have tried
them from time to time since, prompted by the thought that then, in the
'fifties, if someone so much as wiped a pan with cut garlic it put me
off the meal. Now I make garlic sausage using several cloves per hock,
and never see a wampire anywhere near the place.

Seriously, disliking aubergines is reasonable. But the reason that
they are flavourless is that they are bred and grown for minimal
bitterness, and that has the side-effect of achieving minimal
flavour. Think of the difference between supermarket "calabrese"
and homw grown purple sprouting broccoli.

Calabrese and purple sprouting broccoli are different animals anyway. I
molish a mean calabrese cheese. And I never buy greengrocery or fruit
from supermarkets. (Unless reduced in price to virtually nothing. I
bought two granadillos for 10p eack this year, and have a batch of
granadillo vines coming on nicely.)

Must get the conservatory thing done!

The pithiness is largely an artifact of not cooking them properly,
often because of skimping on the olive oil - when fried, they soak
up an incredible amount, as in "The Imam Fainted".

I never skimp on olive oil - we have a Lidl locally........

Oh, they have a Aussie Shiraz 2,002 at £3.99/bottle. If it's anything
like the Shiraz 2,000 of the same ilk they had before, it's well worth a
try.

Kay Easton 05-09-2003 08:53 AM

Laurel Trees

In article , martin
writes

wrote:

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message

Aubergines are horrid, nasty, pithy, flavourless things.

Not when fried with a goodly amount of garlick in virgin olive oil

That seems to be the standard answer to anything that is tasteless.
Last week it was puffballs, this week aubergines, next week horse
manure? :-)

Horse manure is tasteless? You learn something every day!

I thank you from the depths of my heart for your public spiritedness is
establishing this fact for us. ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: