GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tree recommendations wanted (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/42109-tree-recommendations-wanted.html)

Janet Tweedy 04-09-2003 11:42 AM

tree recommendations wanted

I am sure someone out there can suggest a suitable tree for our front
garden to replace the cherry which is now about 50 years old and has
succumbed to a virus (brought on by the cable installations down out
road)

The front garden is about 30 foot long and about 40 foot wide (no idea
of metric measurements!) The tree is almost on the boundary west
boundary about 15 foot from the house but has never caused any problems.
We like it because it gives shade in the summer due to the fact that our
front wall faces south.

The cherry is directly over the drains but again no problems. We have
clay and slightly alkaline soil with loads and loads of flint. No doubt
chalk some way down due to us being in the Chiltern area.

Hedges on boundaries are hawthorn and about 8 feet high.

Thought of a multi stemmed jaquemontii but would like a reasonable
height, not the dreaded Robinia (false looking thing)

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Mike Lyle 04-09-2003 08:04 PM

Janet Tweedy wrote in message ...
[...]

A malus floribunda would be in keeping with the "natural"-sounding
site. Or a standard orchard apple looks beautiful in bloom: I don't
really know why people don't use them as ornamentals (too slow for
today's taste, perhaps). Or a self-fertile plum or a damson (you'd
need to change the soil a bit after the fowering cherry, of course). I
love the gnarly shapes mulberries grow into, but I know they make a
mess.

Mike.

Franz Heymann 04-09-2003 08:16 PM

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0rtsd.1jpv6fyefxn5sN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Janet Tweedy wrote:

[...]

Why not.. Its very easily prunable to keep it to a good shape.. Someone
up the road has one and its responded beautifully to pruning.

Suggest

Hiller colour Dictionary for ideas.
And also the Lappen catalogue. www.lappen.de for a copy.
How about a small Acacia from Eucalyptus.co.uk They are in Wales so
would be able to advise as to hardiness.
Beautiful feather foiliage, lovely flowers.

A small dogwood (Cornus)

I seem to remember one of the Snakebark Maple's makes a VERY attractive
small tree as well.

I have a snakebark maple. It is very attractive in winter when the bark
shows up well, but it is less impressive in summer when it is in full leaf.

Franz

Janet Tweedy 07-09-2003 02:22 PM

tree recommendations wanted

In article
1g0rtsd.1jpv6fyefxn5sN%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net, Jim W
writes

Hiller colour Dictionary for ideas.

Been through most of my RHS and other Plant books but they don't tell
you the 'best' and worst' about the trees and actually having them in
the garden!

How about a small Acacia from Eucalyptus.co.uk

Not very 'normal' though and prickly from what I remember.

A small dogwood (Cornus)

Too small Jim Would have liked something about 20 foot tall I think
(eventually)

I seem to remember one of the Snakebark Maple's makes a VERY attractive
small tree as well.

Got one of those (grew it from seed) but unless slow growing and not
very shady in my soil.

As its south facing you could push one of the more exotic fruits.. How
about a slow growing Poncirus or something!-)

Got two of them in pots, very very slow growing and both still under 2
foot :)

If if was me I'd certainly be looking at the Agroforestry Research Trust
Catalogue for ideas and maybe Clive Simm's etc for more;-)
//
Jim

Thanks Jim I'll look there.

janet

Janet Tweedy 07-09-2003 02:22 PM

tree recommendations wanted

In article , Mike Lyle
writes

A malus floribunda would be in keeping with the "natural"-sounding
site. Or a standard orchard apple looks beautiful in bloom: I don't
really know why people don't use them as ornamentals (too slow for
today's taste, perhaps). Or a self-fertile plum or a damson (you'd
need to change the soil a bit after the fowering cherry, of course). I
love the gnarly shapes mulberries grow into, but I know they make a
mess.

Mike.

Grown a mulberry from seed, now chopped to five foot and allowed to grow
it's six foot of branches every year.
Would the damson or plum be a bit messy? Would it affect the drains?

janet

Mike Lyle 07-09-2003 09:13 PM

tree recommendations wanted

Janet Tweedy wrote in message ...
In article , Mike Lyle
writes

[...]
Or a self-fertile plum or a damson (you'd
need to change the soil a bit after the fowering cherry, of course).[...]

Grown a mulberry from seed, now chopped to five foot and allowed to grow
it's six foot of branches every year.
Would the damson or plum be a bit messy? Would it affect the drains?

You mean you wouldn't pick them? Gosh! But, no, they wouldn't be as
messy as mulberries. If you leave them on the ground you'll have a
plague of wasps, though. I don't think plum trees are much of problem
with spreading roots; but I wouldn't plant any tree on top of a drain.

Mike.

Franz Heymann 07-09-2003 09:24 PM

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0rtsd.1jpv6fyefxn5sN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

[snip]

How about a small Acacia from Eucalyptus.co.uk

I am not aware of any acacia which is really hardy.

Franz

Janet Tweedy 08-09-2003 03:05 AM

tree recommendations wanted

In article
1g0x853.1js4tkh1vbmfh5N%00senetnospamtodayta@macu nlimited.net, Jim W
writes

Not very 'normal' though and prickly from what I remember.

Dunno but if you really want I could go up the Road in a week or 2 and
take piccies.. Its very very attractive.. Feathery foiliage, bronzed
tips in spring,.. yellow flowers..

Yes I know what it's like, I took one out of the garden when I moved
here 30 years ago. I prefer to stick with fairly normal trees for
Britain just because it gives the insects and birds something to feed on
generally, but thanks for the offer Jim.

A small dogwood (Cornus)

Too small Jim Would have liked something about 20 foot tall I think
(eventually)

LOL OK.. How small is small!-)

Well to me Cornus is small because if you want the red stems you must
prune at least a third of them out every year and even the larger
cornuses (ii?) aren't going to shade our living room very much :) I've
got about four dogwoods but are you thinking of a specific one?

As its south facing you could push one of the more exotic fruits.. How
about a slow growing Poncirus or something!-)

Got two of them in pots, very very slow growing and both still under 2
foot :)

They are aren't they..

And they never flower!

Janet Tweedy 08-09-2003 03:05 AM

tree recommendations wanted

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Janet Tweedy wrote in message
In article , Mike Lyle
writes

[...]
Or a self-fertile plum or a damson (you'd
need to change the soil a bit after the fowering cherry, of course).[...]

Grown a mulberry from seed, now chopped to five foot and allowed to grow
it's six foot of branches every year.
Would the damson or plum be a bit messy? Would it affect the drains?

You mean you wouldn't pick them? Gosh! But, no, they wouldn't be as
messy as mulberries. If you leave them on the ground you'll have a
plague of wasps, though.

No wasps just butterflies getting drunk on the rotting fruit that
dripped into the water barrels. Told the tale of my mulberry often on
this group so won't bore anyone again suffice to say I would NEVER grow
a mulberry again and it would certainly go for the drains and heave up
the foundations on my house!

I don't think plum trees are much of problem
with spreading roots; but I wouldn't plant any tree on top of a drain.

Mike.

Well it looks like someone did about 45 years ago or maybe longer
because the wild cherry tree was here and all of 35 or 40 foot when we
moved in and it has never rooted into the drains up till now. Presumably
the drains were put in after the roots had spread out so that only
anchor roots were in the vicinity and the feeder roots were actually
further away?

janet

Kay Easton 08-09-2003 09:14 AM

tree recommendations wanted

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

Well to me Cornus is small because if you want the red stems you must prune at
least a third of them out every year and even the larger cornuses (ii?) aren't
going to shade our living room very much :) I've got about four dogwoods but are
you thinking of a specific one?

Cornuses aren't just about red stems! There are many species, grown for
showy white bracts, berries, or elegance of form. Try for a start C.
kousa, nuttali, mas

I've only just come into this thread, but picked up you want a 20ft tree
and would prefer a british native for the wildlife - have you considered
whitebeam? Opening leaves show their white undersides and look like huge
white tulips, then you have white flowers, and berries in the autumn.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Kay Easton 08-09-2003 09:14 AM

tree recommendations wanted

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

No wasps just butterflies getting drunk on the rotting fruit that dripped into
the water barrels. Told the tale of my mulberry often on this group so won't
bore anyone again suffice to say I would NEVER grow a mulberry again and it
would certainly go for the drains and heave up the foundations on my house!

I really don't know what was up with your mulberry. They're not known to
be fast growing and mine certainly isn't, and no trouble with rotting
fruit - it's too delicious and gets eaten straight away. Not at all the
insipid berries you've described.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Franz Heymann 08-09-2003 02:12 PM

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0xsz5.1vdh6vxfhrneoN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Franz Heymann wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0rtsd.1jpv6fyefxn5sN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

[snip]

How about a small Acacia from Eucalyptus.co.uk

I am not aware of any acacia which is really hardy.

Franz

Well I am in London. The tree in Q is an Acacia (not mock or false) but
is in a NW facing garden at the op of a hill. So frost and drainage not
a 'major' problem. Eg water and frost drainage are sharp. We do get
frost but it is mild by comparison to outer lying areas..

Point is this tree has been growing quite happily last 4 -5 years.. So
it must have SOME hardiness. Hence I recommended contacting Celyn Vale
who would advise.

False Acacia is a Robinia. That is not what I was thinking about. The RHS
encyclopedia lists 10 different true Acacias. It says that in general their
minimum safe temperatures vary between 5 and 7 deg C.
So, either the encyclopedia is wrong, or the tree you are referring to iis
very lucky.

Franz

Janet Baraclough 09-09-2003 12:03 PM

tree recommendations wanted

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

I prefer to stick with fairly normal trees for
Britain just because it gives the insects and birds something to feed on
generally, but thanks for the offer Jim.

How about one of the mountain ash/sorbus family? Flowers, pretty
leaves, reliable fruit, autumn colour, feeding birds, rock hardy, no
mess, not too big, and non-invasive roots. Choose your fruit colour from
white, pinks, reds, yellows, gold, orange.

Janet.

TheGardener 10-09-2003 12:23 AM

[...]

I would suggest an Acer pseudoplatanus "Brilliantissimum". Its new leaves
in spring are a wonderful pink colour, then they fade to soft yellow, then
finally to pale green. It is a beautifully shaped tree, and is fairly slow
growing, so won't outlive its space too quickly.
--
Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Janet Tweedy 10-09-2003 12:20 PM

tree recommendations wanted

In article , Kay Easton
writes

I've only just come into this thread, but picked up you want a 20ft tree
and would prefer a british native for the wildlife - have you considered
whitebeam? Opening leaves show their white undersides and look like huge
white tulips, then you have white flowers, and berries in the autumn.

It's also got to sit 12 foot from the house Kay, in the front garden,
instead of the wild cherry which has caught some terrible lurg and will
be completely dead by 2006! The drains run immediately under it but we
wanted to keep the shade for the summer months (hence the 20 foot)
though I guess 10 - 15 would be okay. 8 foot hedge next to it so
anything too small would be squashed unless the crown reaches 8 foot
eventually. Tom wants a deciduous and not an awful exotic:)
Besides all that I am sure we don't mind what we put there :)

The other great news the tree surgeon gave us (a good tree surgeon by
the way!) was that he can reduce the crown and lighten the red oak which
is taking over the middle of the back garden. Having been told by RHS
Quercus rubra is slow growing it turns out to be one of the fastest
growing oaks. Often grown for a quick crop in forests........ We
excepted to have moved by now but as it doesn't look like we are going
to yet a while we need to do something about the oak!
(Sigh)

janet

Janet Tweedy 10-09-2003 12:21 PM

tree recommendations wanted

In article , Kay Easton
writes

I really don't know what was up with your mulberry. They're not known to
be fast growing and mine certainly isn't,

But you saw my giant tree! Having cropped it to a stump of 5 foot (it
now looks like an elephant upside down in the lawn due to it's four
stems) it grows 7 - 10 foot shoots from all over every year. Slow
growing? HAH! ........................

and no trouble with rotting
fruit - it's too delicious and gets eaten straight away. Not at all the
insipid berries you've described.

Ah but grown from a seed of course there's no knowing the quality of
the fruit, as in apples etc. (She says knowingly, having reached this
conclusion over the last 15 years it took the tree to reach 30foot and
start breaking at every conceivable point))

janet

Kay Easton 10-09-2003 06:02 PM

tree recommendations wanted

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes

I've only just come into this thread, but picked up you want a 20ft tree
and would prefer a british native for the wildlife - have you considered
whitebeam? Opening leaves show their white undersides and look like huge
white tulips, then you have white flowers, and berries in the autumn.

It's also got to sit 12 foot from the house Kay, in the front garden,
instead of the wild cherry which has caught some terrible lurg and will
be completely dead by 2006!

How big is the cherry? They don't seem to be long lived and seem to die
naturally at bout 50.

The drains run immediately under it but we
wanted to keep the shade for the summer months (hence the 20 foot)
though I guess 10 - 15 would be okay.

Well, I guess if you have a huge cherry that close, your drains can't be
*that* vulnerable.

I'd go for Janet's suggestion of a sorbus - which Whitebeam is, or
course, but you also have the mountain ashes.

The other great news the tree surgeon gave us (a good tree surgeon by
the way!) was that he can reduce the crown and lighten the red oak which
is taking over the middle of the back garden. Having been told by RHS
Quercus rubra is slow growing it turns out to be one of the fastest
growing oaks. Often grown for a quick crop in forests........ We
excepted to have moved by now but as it doesn't look like we are going
to yet a while we need to do something about the oak!

I thought the oak was your pride and joy? ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Kay Easton 10-09-2003 06:02 PM

tree recommendations wanted

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes

I really don't know what was up with your mulberry. They're not known to
be fast growing and mine certainly isn't,

But you saw my giant tree! Having cropped it to a stump of 5 foot (it
now looks like an elephant upside down in the lawn due to it's four
stems) it grows 7 - 10 foot shoots from all over every year. Slow
growing? HAH! ........................

Mine is still a neat lollipop shape after 10 years.

Much less sprawling than the medlar next door to it!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Janet Tweedy 11-09-2003 10:14 AM

tree recommendations wanted

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

I prefer to stick with fairly normal trees for
Britain just because it gives the insects and birds something to feed on
generally, but thanks for the offer Jim.

How about one of the mountain ash/sorbus family? Flowers, pretty
leaves, reliable fruit, autumn colour, feeding birds, rock hardy, no
mess, not too big, and non-invasive roots. Choose your fruit colour from
white, pinks, reds, yellows, gold, orange.

Janet.

Got three janet but I am considering one nevertheless. Thanks

Janet

Janet Tweedy 11-09-2003 10:14 AM

tree recommendations wanted

In article , Kay Easton
writes

How big is the cherry? They don't seem to be long lived and seem to die
naturally at bout 50.

This one is about 60 years I would guess and 50 foot tall Kay. The one
of the same size and age in the back garden next door is also dying
rapidly.

Well, I guess if you have a huge cherry that close, your drains can't be
*that* vulnerable.

I thought perhaps the drains had been built under the tree after it was
large and the feeder roots had naturally spread out beyond the drains?
Bearing in mind most house would have had septic tanks until at least
the war.

I'd go for Janet's suggestion of a sorbus - which Whitebeam is, or
course, but you also have the mountain ashes.

The other great news the tree surgeon gave us (a good tree surgeon by
the way!) was that he can reduce the crown and lighten the red oak which
is taking over the middle of the back garden. Having been told by RHS
Quercus rubra is slow growing it turns out to be one of the fastest
growing oaks. Often grown for a quick crop in forests........ We
excepted to have moved by now but as it doesn't look like we are going
to yet a while we need to do something about the oak!

I thought the oak was your pride and joy? ;-)

It is, it is ........ the colours and the leaves etc etc. However we
can't let it get so large that we have to fell it.

Janet Tweedy 11-09-2003 10:14 AM

tree recommendations wanted

In article , TheGardener
writes

I would suggest an Acer pseudoplatanus "Brilliantissimum". Its new leaves
in spring are a wonderful pink colour, then they fade to soft yellow, then
finally to pale green. It is a beautifully shaped tree, and is fairly slow
growing, so won't outlive its space too quickly.
--
Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Will it be okay so near the house? Isn't it a messy tree?

janet

Sacha 11-09-2003 12:05 PM

tree recommendations wanted

in article , Janet Tweedy at
wrote on 10/9/03 8:54 pm:

snip

It is, it is ........ the colours and the leaves etc etc. However we
can't let it get so large that we have to fell it.

Had you thought of my beloved Gleditsia triacanthos 'Sunburst'? ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

TheGardener 11-09-2003 06:12 PM

tree recommendations wanted

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , TheGardener
writes

I would suggest an Acer pseudoplatanus "Brilliantissimum". Its new

leaves
in spring are a wonderful pink colour, then they fade to soft yellow,

then
finally to pale green. It is a beautifully shaped tree, and is fairly

slow
growing, so won't outlive its space too quickly.
--
Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Will it be okay so near the house? Isn't it a messy tree?

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I'm not sure what you mean by messy, Janet. If you mean the shape, then no,
it's a really beautiful shape. If you mean the falling leaves in autumn,
then it's no more messy than any other deciduous tree. As for it being so
close to the house, I can't see it causing any more problems than your
cherry tree which is there at the moment. The only problem I can see might
be that it is quite a slow grower. But even a small Brilliantissimum is
stunning. Of course, you don't get the beautiful flowers of a cherry tree,
(although it does flower), but the joy of this tree is in the changing
colours of the foliage throughout the year. It gets my vote every time!
There's a picture of the spring growth of my tree he
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/acerbrill.html

Franz Heymann 11-09-2003 07:42 PM

tree recommendations wanted

"TheGardener" wrote in message

[snip]

I'm not sure what you mean by messy, Janet. If you mean the shape, then

no,
it's a really beautiful shape. If you mean the falling leaves in autumn,
then it's no more messy than any other deciduous tree.

There are deciduous trees which are messier than others. The ash which
leans over into my drive (a beautiful tree) is about to shed a huge pile of
seeds into the drive. Within a few weeks of my clearing that, it will start
shedding its leaves.

[snip]

Franz

Janet Tweedy 12-09-2003 02:22 PM

tree recommendations wanted

In article , TheGardener
writes

I'm not sure what you mean by messy, Janet.

Some trees attract greenfly etc and then drip black sooty mould all over
the ground or things beneath Chrissie. The cherry is a bit like that
with it's fruit dropping over everything including the cars but the main
drawback is that the tiny stems that break off are quite knobbly and get
into the car grilles and gutters

As for it being so
close to the house, I can't see it causing any more problems than your
cherry tree which is there at the moment.

Don't know about its root form, is it surface or deep rooted?

The only problem I can see might
be that it is quite a slow grower. But even a small Brilliantissimum is
stunning.

Well actually we do have one next to the red oak at the back. It's been
in 20 odd years and the leaves have a lovely pink tinge in the spring
and the autumn leaves are indeed nice colours.

TheGardener 12-09-2003 11:32 PM

[...]

I can only reply based on my own experience of the tree in my garden. I
can't remember it attracting hoards of greenfly - in fact, it seems
relatively pest free. As for the root form, I really have no idea! I'm
sure someone in the group will know though! I would guess at it being
fibrous rather than tap-rooted, but I could be wrong.