GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is this Bleeding Heart? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/42583-bleeding-heart.html)

Martin Sykes 09-09-2003 01:12 PM

Is this Bleeding Heart?

My mother-in-law gave me this plant which she called 'Bleeding Heart'. I
know bleeding heart is Dicentra and this isn't it. I thought she may have
got it mixed up with Amaranthus (Love-lies-bleeding) but now it has flowers
I can see that's not it either. Can anyone identify this from the flowers:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~sy...edingHeart.jpg

It's about 4-5ft tall at the moment and the flowers hang about 4-5 inches.
They start off as a small cluster of 4 flowers and as they die off, a new
set of 4 flowers emerges from the centre and so on. They've also started
producing more flowers from the base of the chain.

Thanks,

Martin

Jim W 09-09-2003 01:42 PM

Is this Bleeding Heart?

Martin Sykes wrote:

My mother-in-law gave me this plant which she called 'Bleeding Heart'. I
know bleeding heart is Dicentra and this isn't it. I thought she may have
got it mixed up with Amaranthus (Love-lies-bleeding) but now it has flowers
I can see that's not it either. Can anyone identify this from the flowers:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~sy...edingHeart.jpg

It's about 4-5ft tall at the moment and the flowers hang about 4-5 inches.
They start off as a small cluster of 4 flowers and as they die off, a new
set of 4 flowers emerges from the centre and so on. They've also started
producing more flowers from the base of the chain.

Thanks,

Martin

Yes its Leycestria formosa, the Pheasant Berry or Himalyan Honeysuckle.
Used as game cover for pheasants hence the name. The flowers with be
followed by berries.

See http://www.joycreek.com/104-001D4.htm for another piccy and brief
description.
//
Jim

Kate Morgan 09-09-2003 02:02 PM

Is this Bleeding Heart?

In article 1g10tvv.8shyzi1ml2sn4N%
,
says...
Martin Sykes wrote:

My mother-in-law gave me this plant which she called 'Bleeding Heart'. I
know bleeding heart is Dicentra and this isn't it. I thought she may have
got it mixed up with Amaranthus (Love-lies-bleeding) but now it has flowers
I can see that's not it either. Can anyone identify this from the flowers:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~sy...edingHeart.jpg

It's about 4-5ft tall at the moment and the flowers hang about 4-5 inches.
They start off as a small cluster of 4 flowers and as they die off, a new
set of 4 flowers emerges from the centre and so on. They've also started
producing more flowers from the base of the chain.

Thanks,

Martin

Yes its Leycestria formosa, the Pheasant Berry or Himalyan Honeysuckle.
Used as game cover for pheasants hence the name. The flowers with be
followed by berries.

I agree, it`s one of my favourites :-) do keep it if you have the room.
kate

Martin Sykes 09-09-2003 02:32 PM

Is this Bleeding Heart?

Yes its Leycestria formosa, the Pheasant Berry or Himalyan Honeysuckle.

Thanks Jim and Kate. I think it could do with moving before next year
though. It's currently planted where my border goes down to 2ft deep so
It'll probably need a bit more room.

Martin

bnd777 09-09-2003 09:12 PM

Is this Bleeding Heart?

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
My mother-in-law gave me this plant which she called 'Bleeding Heart'. I
know bleeding heart is Dicentra and this isn't it. I thought she may have
got it mixed up with Amaranthus (Love-lies-bleeding) but now it has

flowers
I can see that's not it either. Can anyone identify this from the flowers:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~sy...edingHeart.jpg

It's about 4-5ft tall at the moment and the flowers hang about 4-5 inches.
They start off as a small cluster of 4 flowers and as they die off, a new
set of 4 flowers emerges from the centre and so on. They've also started
producing more flowers from the base of the chain.

Thanks,

Martin

WOW it looks georgous ............you could do a roraing trade in cuttings
by the looks of it

---

Natalie 09-09-2003 10:27 PM

Is this Bleeding Heart?

WOW it looks georgous ............you could do a roraing trade in cuttings
by the looks of it

Mine self seeds like mad ;-)

Natalie

Jim W 10-09-2003 10:12 AM

Is this Bleeding Heart?

Natalie wrote:

WOW it looks georgous ............you could do a roraing trade in cuttings
by the looks of it

Mine self seeds like mad ;-)

Indeed seed from Leycestria is pretty easy.. Squish ripe berries with
damp sand, sow the mixture over a well drained base compost and leave in
a slightly sheltered spot overwinter. Seedlings will emerge next spring.
//
Jim

Victoria Clare 10-09-2003 11:03 AM

Is this Bleeding Heart?

"Martin Sykes" wrote in
:

Yes its Leycestria formosa, the Pheasant Berry or Himalyan
Honeysuckle.

Thanks Jim and Kate. I think it could do with moving before next year
though. It's currently planted where my border goes down to 2ft deep
so It'll probably need a bit more room.

I have it growing on a steep bank, and on shallow rocky soil: it gets to
around 6-7 feet there, so it's pretty tough. Be careful where you put it:
it's a bit invasive (at least, it is here) and the birds will spread the
seeds all over.

Luckily the seedlings are distinctive and easy to weed, and the birds
really like the berries, so it's worth having.

Victoria

Pickle 10-09-2003 11:12 AM

Is this Bleeding Heart?

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.11...
"Martin Sykes" wrote in
:

Yes its Leycestria formosa, the Pheasant Berry or Himalyan
Honeysuckle.

Thanks Jim and Kate. I think it could do with moving before next year
though. It's currently planted where my border goes down to 2ft deep
so It'll probably need a bit more room.

I chop mine right back in the autumn after the birds have finished the
berries, to about 2 feet high. It comes back every year as good as ever.
Mine's in a mixed shrub border in a gap about 3 ft wide.

bnd777 11-09-2003 09:32 PM

Is this Bleeding Heart?

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g11j8i.1r3e5rctqv94kN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Natalie wrote:

WOW it looks georgous ............you could do a roraing trade in

cuttings
by the looks of it

Mine self seeds like mad ;-)

Indeed seed from Leycestria is pretty easy.. Squish ripe berries with
damp sand, sow the mixture over a well drained base compost and leave in
a slightly sheltered spot overwinter. Seedlings will emerge next spring.
//
Jim

Anyone got any seeds of Leycestria they could spare please

---

Natalie 11-09-2003 09:32 PM

Is this Bleeding Heart?

"
Anyone got any seeds of Leycestria they could spare please

I'll have a look tomorrow...bit late now ;-)

I do know I have some seedlings coming up if you'd like one of them?

Natalie