Old 09-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Martin Sykes

Default Is this Bleeding Heart?

My mother-in-law gave me this plant which she called 'Bleeding Heart'. I
know bleeding heart is Dicentra and this isn't it. I thought she may have
got it mixed up with Amaranthus (Love-lies-bleeding) but now it has flowers
I can see that's not it either. Can anyone identify this from the flowers:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~sy...edingHeart.jpg

It's about 4-5ft tall at the moment and the flowers hang about 4-5 inches.
They start off as a small cluster of 4 flowers and as they die off, a new
set of 4 flowers emerges from the centre and so on. They've also started
producing more flowers from the base of the chain.

Thanks,

Martin

Old 09-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Jim W

Martin Sykes wrote:

My mother-in-law gave me this plant which she called 'Bleeding Heart'. I
know bleeding heart is Dicentra and this isn't it. I thought she may have
got it mixed up with Amaranthus (Love-lies-bleeding) but now it has flowers
I can see that's not it either. Can anyone identify this from the flowers:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~sy...edingHeart.jpg

It's about 4-5ft tall at the moment and the flowers hang about 4-5 inches.
They start off as a small cluster of 4 flowers and as they die off, a new
set of 4 flowers emerges from the centre and so on. They've also started
producing more flowers from the base of the chain.

Thanks,

Martin

Yes its Leycestria formosa, the Pheasant Berry or Himalyan Honeysuckle.
Used as game cover for pheasants hence the name. The flowers with be
followed by berries.

See http://www.joycreek.com/104-001D4.htm for another piccy and brief
description.
//
Jim
Old 09-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Kate Morgan

In article 1g10tvv.8shyzi1ml2sn4N%
,
says...
Martin Sykes wrote:

My mother-in-law gave me this plant which she called 'Bleeding Heart'. I
know bleeding heart is Dicentra and this isn't it. I thought she may have
got it mixed up with Amaranthus (Love-lies-bleeding) but now it has flowers
I can see that's not it either. Can anyone identify this from the flowers:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~sy...edingHeart.jpg

It's about 4-5ft tall at the moment and the flowers hang about 4-5 inches.
They start off as a small cluster of 4 flowers and as they die off, a new
set of 4 flowers emerges from the centre and so on. They've also started
producing more flowers from the base of the chain.

Thanks,

Martin

Yes its Leycestria formosa, the Pheasant Berry or Himalyan Honeysuckle.
Used as game cover for pheasants hence the name. The flowers with be
followed by berries.

I agree, it`s one of my favourites :-) do keep it if you have the room.
kate
Old 09-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Martin Sykes

Yes its Leycestria formosa, the Pheasant Berry or Himalyan Honeysuckle.

Thanks Jim and Kate. I think it could do with moving before next year
though. It's currently planted where my border goes down to 2ft deep so
It'll probably need a bit more room.

Martin

Old 09-09-2003, 09:12 PM
bnd777

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
news
My mother-in-law gave me this plant which she called 'Bleeding Heart'. I
know bleeding heart is Dicentra and this isn't it. I thought she may have
got it mixed up with Amaranthus (Love-lies-bleeding) but now it has
flowers
I can see that's not it either. Can anyone identify this from the flowers:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~sy...edingHeart.jpg

It's about 4-5ft tall at the moment and the flowers hang about 4-5 inches.
They start off as a small cluster of 4 flowers and as they die off, a new
set of 4 flowers emerges from the centre and so on. They've also started
producing more flowers from the base of the chain.

Thanks,

Martin

WOW it looks georgous ............you could do a roraing trade in cuttings
by the looks of it

---

Old 09-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Natalie

WOW it looks georgous ............you could do a roraing trade in cuttings
by the looks of it

Mine self seeds like mad ;-)

Natalie

Old 10-09-2003, 10:12 AM
Jim W

Natalie wrote:

WOW it looks georgous ............you could do a roraing trade in cuttings
by the looks of it

Mine self seeds like mad ;-)

Indeed seed from Leycestria is pretty easy.. Squish ripe berries with
damp sand, sow the mixture over a well drained base compost and leave in
a slightly sheltered spot overwinter. Seedlings will emerge next spring.
//
Jim
Old 10-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Victoria Clare

"Martin Sykes" wrote in
:

Yes its Leycestria formosa, the Pheasant Berry or Himalyan
Honeysuckle.

Thanks Jim and Kate. I think it could do with moving before next year
though. It's currently planted where my border goes down to 2ft deep
so It'll probably need a bit more room.

I have it growing on a steep bank, and on shallow rocky soil: it gets to
around 6-7 feet there, so it's pretty tough. Be careful where you put it:
it's a bit invasive (at least, it is here) and the birds will spread the
seeds all over.

Luckily the seedlings are distinctive and easy to weed, and the birds
really like the berries, so it's worth having.

Victoria

Old 11-09-2003, 09:32 PM
bnd777

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g11j8i.1r3e5rctqv94kN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Natalie wrote:

WOW it looks georgous ............you could do a roraing trade in

cuttings
by the looks of it

Mine self seeds like mad ;-)

Indeed seed from Leycestria is pretty easy.. Squish ripe berries with
damp sand, sow the mixture over a well drained base compost and leave in
a slightly sheltered spot overwinter. Seedlings will emerge next spring.
//
Jim

Anyone got any seeds of Leycestria they could spare please

---

Old 11-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Natalie

"
Anyone got any seeds of Leycestria they could spare please

I'll have a look tomorrow...bit late now ;-)

I do know I have some seedlings coming up if you'd like one of them?

Natalie

Old 11-09-2003, 09:40 PM
Natalie

"
Anyone got any seeds of Leycestria they could spare please

I'll have a look tomorrow...bit late now ;-)

I do know I have some seedlings coming up if you'd like one of them?

Natalie

bleeding heart Phil & Diane Martin United Kingdom 9 15-02-2004 11:57 AM
Moving a bleeding heart LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Gardening 6 06-08-2003 02:32 AM
Bleeding Heart question Adrian Lundgren Gardening 5 22-07-2003 06:22 AM
Bleeding Heart The Olsons Gardening 1 28-05-2003 02:32 AM
? Trumpet vine and Bleeding Heart & starting early - TakeThisOut Gardening 1 23-02-2003 04:39 PM