Old 09-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Deadheading Lilacs

We have a white flowering lilac which we have tried to deadhead religiously
immediately after flowering. The tree is, however, by now so large that
deadheading it completely is no longer an option for ancient folk like my
wife and I.

Is it really necesary to do this chore, or is it an old wives' tale?

Franz

Old 09-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes
We have a white flowering lilac which we have tried to deadhead religiously
immediately after flowering. The tree is, however, by now so large that
deadheading it completely is no longer an option for ancient folk like my
wife and I.

Is it really necesary to do this chore, or is it an old wives' tale?

I don't head mine. They still flower.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 09-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Tumbleweed

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes
We have a white flowering lilac which we have tried to deadhead

religiously
immediately after flowering. The tree is, however, by now so large that
deadheading it completely is no longer an option for ancient folk like my
wife and I.

Is it really necesary to do this chore, or is it an old wives' tale?

I don't head mine. They still flower.

I bet they wish they knew that 30 years ago!

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 09-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Tumbleweed

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Old 09-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Tumbleweed

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Old 10-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes
We have a white flowering lilac which we have tried to deadhead

religiously
immediately after flowering. The tree is, however, by now so large that
deadheading it completely is no longer an option for ancient folk like my
wife and I.

Is it really necesary to do this chore, or is it an old wives' tale?

I don't head mine. They still flower.

Thanks, Kay. That is a great comfort. I am a great believer in following
the kind of advice which recommends the omission of a prospective task.

Franz

Old 10-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes
We have a white flowering lilac which we have tried to deadhead

religiously
immediately after flowering. The tree is, however, by now so large that
deadheading it completely is no longer an option for ancient folk like my
wife and I.

Is it really necesary to do this chore, or is it an old wives' tale?

I don't head mine. They still flower.

Thanks, Kay. That is a great comfort. I am a great believer in following
the kind of advice which recommends the omission of a prospective task.

You don't need to dig in compost either - or had you already worked that
one out? :-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 10-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes
We have a white flowering lilac which we have tried to deadhead

religiously
immediately after flowering. The tree is, however, by now so large

that
deadheading it completely is no longer an option for ancient folk like

my
wife and I.

Is it really necesary to do this chore, or is it an old wives' tale?

I don't head mine. They still flower.

Thanks, Kay. That is a great comfort. I am a great believer in

following
the kind of advice which recommends the omission of a prospective task.

You don't need to dig in compost either - or had you already worked that
one out? :-)

I have never, never dug any compost in. Mother nature provided worms for
that purpose. {:-))

Franz

Old 10-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

I have never, never dug any compost in. Mother nature provided worms for
that purpose. {:-))

I think the worm's eye view might be that Mother nature provided humans
to deliver the compost ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 10-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

I have never, never dug any compost in. Mother nature provided worms for
that purpose. {:-))

I think the worm's eye view might be that Mother nature provided humans
to deliver the compost ;-)

Mutual interdependence?

Franz

Old 11-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Michael Berridge

Franz Heymann wrote in message ...

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes
We have a white flowering lilac which we have tried to deadhead

religiously
immediately after flowering. The tree is, however, by now so large

that
deadheading it completely is no longer an option for ancient folk

like my
wife and I.

Is it really necesary to do this chore, or is it an old wives' tale?

I don't head mine. They still flower.

Thanks, Kay. That is a great comfort. I am a great believer in

following
the kind of advice which recommends the omission of a prospective task.

Never dead headed any of mine and I have 5 very free flowering ones. I
just prune abut 1/3 of the branches back each year to keep them in
check.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 11-09-2003, 01:33 AM
Michael Berridge

Franz Heymann wrote in message ...

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes
We have a white flowering lilac which we have tried to deadhead

religiously
immediately after flowering. The tree is, however, by now so large

that
deadheading it completely is no longer an option for ancient folk

like my
wife and I.

Is it really necesary to do this chore, or is it an old wives' tale?

I don't head mine. They still flower.

Thanks, Kay. That is a great comfort. I am a great believer in

following
the kind of advice which recommends the omission of a prospective task.

Never dead headed any of mine and I have 5 very free flowering ones. I
just prune abut 1/3 of the branches back each year to keep them in
check.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Deadheading Clematis mfs1011 United Kingdom 2 04-07-2003 08:52 AM
Deadheading roses? Tono Gardening 4 30-06-2003 06:56 PM
Deadheading Mutabilis! Shiva Roses 7 28-06-2003 12:56 AM
deadheading news.verizon.net Gardening 10 19-05-2003 08:56 PM
Deadheading heliotrope Adam Schwartz Gardening 1 06-05-2003 11:44 PM