GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to dry Parsley (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/43018-how-dry-parsley.html)

Yamxs850 14-09-2003 11:34 AM

How to dry Parsley

How do I dry my crop of Parsley for Winter use. do I use leaves and stocks or
just the leaves.

thanks
remove niljunk to send e-mail.

Robert 14-09-2003 01:12 PM

How to dry Parsley

:
: thanks
: remove niljunk to send e-mail.

Freeze the fresh leaves, no need for blanching

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

redclay 14-09-2003 04:42 PM

How to dry Parsley

Yamxs850 wrote in message
How do I dry my crop of Parsley for Winter use. do I use leaves and stocks

or
just the leaves.
thanks

Cut the stalk close to the base of the plant. Brush off dirt or if real
dirty rinse off. Shake off excess water and spread stalks out on newspaper.
Do not dry any herbs in direct sunlight because it turns them black. I use
the living room. Turn the stalks every other day and if you think you need
more air circulation use a fan on the low speed. When the leaves can be
crumbled just crunch them off the stalks. The dried stalks can be used to
flavor stocks.

Jaques d'Altrades 14-09-2003 07:32 PM

How to dry Parsley

The message
from iljunk (Yamxs850) contains these words:

How do I dry my crop of Parsley for Winter use. do I use leaves and
stocks or
just the leaves.

Forget it. Dried parsley tastes like hay. Start some parsley lants in
pots and grow them on a south-facing windowsill if possible.

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.

Janet Baraclough 14-09-2003 09:13 PM

How to dry Parsley

The message
from iljunk (Yamxs850) contains these words:

How do I dry my crop of Parsley for Winter use. do I use leaves and
stocks or
just the leaves.

For garnish or sauce, just use leaves. Use stalks for making stock.

I find frozen parsley keeps a better taste and colour than dried. To
freeze, rinse the heads, pat dry, fill a plastic bag with whole heads,
seal and freeze. When it's frozen, you can either keep it that way (I
do) or save space by squashing the bag around a bit until the contents
look like chopped parsley. I prefer to keep the heads frozen whole then
take out as much as I need and crumble the leaves between my fingers
before they defrost.

Janet.

Yamxs850 14-09-2003 09:22 PM

How to dry Parsley

ok guys thanks for help.
remove niljunk to send e-mail.

cpemma 15-09-2003 10:33 PM

How to dry Parsley

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from iljunk (Yamxs850) contains these words:

How do I dry my crop of Parsley for Winter use. do I use leaves and
stocks or
just the leaves.

For garnish or sauce, just use leaves. Use stalks for making stock.

I find frozen parsley keeps a better taste and colour than dried. To
freeze, rinse the heads, pat dry, fill a plastic bag with whole heads,
seal and freeze. When it's frozen, you can either keep it that way (I
do) or save space by squashing the bag around a bit until the contents
look like chopped parsley. I prefer to keep the heads frozen whole
then take out as much as I need and crumble the leaves between my
fingers before they defrost.

Similar method here, I freeze portions in bank bags, whip one out of the
freezer, quick smack, and it's perfect for sauce ;)