Old 18-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Madeira

Any urglers got any suggestions for "must see" places or things to do? we
are off there again this october.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Glenda

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:49:20 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
tippy-typed:

Any urglers got any suggestions for "must see" places or things to do? we
are off there again this october.

I recommend going up the mountain in the cable car and coming down in
a basket!

Old 18-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Michael Berridge

Glenda wrote in message ...
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:49:20 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
tippy-typed:

Any urglers got any suggestions for "must see" places or things to do?

we
are off there again this october.

I recommend going up the mountain in the cable car and coming down in
a basket!

Royal Botanical gardens are a must, as is the Orchid centre near it.
Just allow a full day for any visit to any gardens, and yes the trip up
in the cable car, and the basket down is a real must.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 20-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Alan Holmes

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Any urglers got any suggestions for "must see" places or things to do? we
are off there again this october.

Other than walking by the rivers, not much, and if you do go walking in
remote areas,
go with a guide as there have been a large number of muggings.

There are a large number of plants growing everwhere which only grow in
Madeira.

Alan

Old 24-09-2003, 12:27 AM
Roger Van Loon

Charlie Pridham wrote:

Any urglers got any suggestions for "must see" places or things to do? we
are off there again this october.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Hello Charlie!
I did post about this one or two years ago - sorry if I repeat myself.
One thing you must certainly do: visit the Quinta do Palheiro gardens
(Blandy gardens), near Funchal. And when you're there, you - as a
Clematis lover - must absolutely have a look at a very special and
spectacular Clematis. It grows on the trellisses, in the central part
of the garden, in front of (and some distance from) the manor.
It is Clematis grandiflora, from Africa (no, not C. montana!) and it
is the only specimen of this species that I know of, in cultivation.
It's not even in Kew.
There's a picture of it on my old website:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.loon/pictures.htm
And there are some pictures of it in Clematis on the Web:
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/clemd...cfm?dbkey=1092
But it is a winter flowerer, and probably not in flower yet when you
are there.

Other things:
The Botanical Gardens have already been mentioned.
And, if you go up to Monte by cable car, don't forget to visit the
gardens of Monte Palacio.
And some general advice: check the opening days / hours first! I would
suggest, first thing after your arrival, to pay a visit to the
Tourist Information Office in the center of Funchal for some maps and
information about places to see, public transportation, and gardens.

Have a nice trip.
Roger.

--

One thing is certain, and the rest is lies;
The flower that once bloom'd, forever dies.

Old 24-09-2003, 02:57 AM
Michael Berridge

Roger Van Loon wrote in message
[...]

I totally agree about the Blandy Gardens, and suggest that you also
visit the market in Funchal, good variety of bulbs etc, and they do seem
to grow OK here, well I've got Agapanthus in flower, and they seem to be
hardy, also bought Gloxinias.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 24-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Michael Berridge" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for all the suggestions, we shall indeed be visiting the main three
gardens again (and yes I did find the clematis - looked for seed but no
luck!) Although there is no way that I could get Liz on a cable car we are
fairly adventurous with levada walking, I will post any new finds on my
return. :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

OT Madeira gardens Sacha United Kingdom 10 08-08-2006 02:54 PM
O T. Visit to Madeira The Hound United Kingdom 2 02-12-2005 04:51 PM
Madeira Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 09:15 AM
non vasculars in MADEIRA help daniel vega Plant Science 1 18-06-2003 11:56 AM
madeira non vascular help daniel vega Plant Science 0 16-06-2003 10:56 PM