GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Preserving chestnuts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/43563-preserving-chestnuts.html)

Izaak 20-09-2003 12:14 PM

Preserving chestnuts

Every year I harvest a few pounds of chestnuts, windfalls from the local
park. After a few weeks they go really solid and are inedible. Is there
any way I can keep them fairly fresh for use at Christmas. I don't want to
puree them.
Izaak

Nick Maclaren 20-09-2003 07:02 PM

Preserving chestnuts

In article ,
Izaak wrote:
Every year I harvest a few pounds of chestnuts, windfalls from the local
park. After a few weeks they go really solid and are inedible. Is there
any way I can keep them fairly fresh for use at Christmas. I don't want to
puree them.

You could candy them - i.e. marrons glaces.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Menu Mania 21-09-2003 10:03 AM

Preserving chestnuts

"Izaak" wrote in message
Every year I harvest a few pounds of chestnuts, windfalls from the local
park. After a few weeks they go really solid and are inedible. Is there
any way I can keep them fairly fresh for use at Christmas. I don't want

puree them.
Izaak

Depending what you want to do with them afterwards, cook them in the oven,
peel them and then freeze them - ideal for cooking with afterwards.

Lee
www.menumania.co.uk