GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Acorns! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44205-acorns.html)

Pen Phill 27-09-2003 06:42 PM

Acorns!

Hi
Thousands and thousands and thousands of them! Going out means wearing a hard
hat. I am sweeping up the drive everyday and getting several bucketloads. Can
you do anything with them? Will they compost? Ersazt coffee?
Please don't say "Plant an oak tree!"

Phil

Jaques d'Altrades 27-09-2003 10:02 PM

Acorns!

The message
from iljunk (Pen Phill) contains these words:

Thousands and thousands and thousands of them! Going out means
wearing a hard
hat. I am sweeping up the drive everyday and getting several
bucketloads. Can
you do anything with them? Will they compost? Ersazt coffee?
Please don't say "Plant an oak tree!"

Mildly poisonous. Plant a forest.

Piggies like them though.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Graham Dixon 28-09-2003 09:42 AM

Acorns!

A chap I know uses them to make screens to hang over a door opening.
Basically he uses a piece of dowel (Brush handle) and hangs strings of
acorns (sometimes alternated with chestnuts) at inch and a half (approx)
intervals from the dowel. He then sccrews a coule of hooks into the top of
the door casing to support the weight of the dowel and it's strings of nuts.
They look quite nice (see bloody awful attempt at diagramatic representation
below)

Regards

Graham

________________
l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

JennyC 28-09-2003 11:13 AM

Acorns!

"Pen Phill" wrote in message
Hi
Thousands and thousands and thousands of them! Going out means

wearing a hard
hat. I am sweeping up the drive everyday and getting several

bucketloads. Can
you do anything with them? Will they compost? Ersazt coffee?
Please don't say "Plant an oak tree!"

Phil

I was wondering whether there are animals in a local zoo / wildlife
park that might regard them as a delicacy ?
Perhaps you could inquire ?

I say this because I saw a girl collecting chestnuts recently from the
paths in the zoo to feed to the wild pigs :~))
Jenny

Peter Crosland 28-09-2003 12:03 PM

Acorns!

Does anyone locally keep wild boar? If so they love them.

Janet Baraclough 28-09-2003 12:32 PM

Acorns!

The message
from iljunk (Pen Phill) contains these words:

Hi
Thousands and thousands and thousands of them! Going out means
wearing a hard
hat. I am sweeping up the drive everyday and getting several
bucketloads. Can
you do anything with them?

Feed them to pigs. Leave them there as food for birds and squirrels.
Or, collect and use them as an organic soil-surface mulch. (Some will
germinate, but disturbing them with a rake will prevent them rooting.)

Janet.

Zipadee Doodar 28-09-2003 03:32 PM

Acorns!

[...]

This translates as a rather rude binary message. My WinXP blushed when it
read it.

ZD

Jaques d'Altrades 28-09-2003 06:22 PM

Acorns!

The message
from "Zipadee Doodar" contains these words:

This translates as a rather rude binary message. My WinXP blushed when it
read it.

Things are looking up: a version of Windoze which can read........

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Pen Phill 28-09-2003 07:14 PM

Acorns!

Subject: Acorns!
From: Janet Baraclough
Date: 27/09/03 21:01 Romance Daylight Time
The message
from
iljunk (Pen Phill) contains these words:

Hi
Thousands and thousands and thousands of them! Going out means
wearing a hard
hat. I am sweeping up the drive everyday and getting several
bucketloads. Can
you do anything with them?

Feed them to pigs. Leave them there as food for birds and squirrels.
Or, collect and use them as an organic soil-surface mulch. (Some will
germinate, but disturbing them with a rake will prevent them rooting.)

Janet.

Hi janet

Yes. Thanks. I will try that. Some of the flowerbeds have in fact "self mulched
so to speak as I didn't want to rake the sodding things out, so I will leave
them and see what happens.) As for pigs, this part of the world (Brittany) has
loads of pig rearers but my local ones are not interested nor are my neighbours
with sheep.No local zoos either I am afraid as someone suggested, but wild
boars..yes, and they do come into the garden from time to time. Unfortunately
the hunting season is here and wouldn't want to be the cause of some poor
porcine's early demise as he blissfully crosses the fields on the way to chez
moi in search of a humble acorn or two-thousand. So mulch it is.

Phil

shazzbat 28-09-2003 09:03 PM

Acorns!

"Pen Phill" wrote in message
Hi
Thousands and thousands and thousands of them! Going out means wearing a

hard
hat. I am sweeping up the drive everyday and getting several bucketloads.

Can
you do anything with them? Will they compost? Ersazt coffee?
Please don't say "Plant an oak tree!"

Phil

Sell pannage rights?