GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Whitefly (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44262-whitefly.html)

Janice 28-09-2003 03:22 PM

Whitefly

Some plants in my greenhouse have whitefly, as do some of my outside garden
plants. Do the whitefly need getting rid of (insecticidal soap) or will it
they simply die off naturally with the coming colder weather?

Thanks.

Robert 28-09-2003 05:13 PM

Whitefly

: Some plants in my greenhouse have whitefly, as do some of my outside
: garden plants. Do the whitefly need getting rid of (insecticidal
: soap) or will it they simply die off naturally with the coming colder
: weather?
:
: Thanks.

I think there is a biological predator for whitefly where you release it in
the greenhouse and it does the business. I'm sure someone will know for sure

Sad Sid 28-09-2003 08:03 PM

Whitefly

"Janice" wrote in message
Some plants in my greenhouse have whitefly, as do some of my outside

garden
plants. Do the whitefly need getting rid of (insecticidal soap) or will

it
they simply die off naturally with the coming colder weather?

Thanks.

Don't know how you feel about sprays - our melon plants were badly infested.
We used a systemic spray in May. It only affects insects that attack the
plant - harmless to bees, hoverflies etc.
We have had zero whitefly since.

Steve Harris 28-09-2003 10:23 PM

Whitefly

In article ,
(Janice) wrote:

whitefly, as do some of my outside
garden plants. Do the whitefly need getting rid of (insecticidal
soap) or will it they simply die off naturally with the coming colder
weather?

I understand that the whitefly you get on brassicas doesn't go away with
colder weather. I know of no natural predator. Usual advice is
permethrin spray every 3 days until they're dead which may take some
time.

Robert 29-09-2003 07:02 PM

Whitefly

: Some plants in my greenhouse have whitefly, as do some of my outside
: garden plants. Do the whitefly need getting rid of (insecticidal
: soap) or will it they simply die off naturally with the coming colder
: weather?
:
: Thanks.

Found it, I knew I had seen it on TV