GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How do you get rid of snails? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44348-how-do-you-get-rid-snails.html)

martin 30-09-2003 07:42 PM

How do you get rid of snails?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:02:13 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from iljunk (Pen Phill) contains these words:

Subject: How do you get rid of snails?

We eats the tasty little beggars over ere!

Yes, but only up to a certain age, or they are like garlic-flavoured
indiarubber.

What do you do with the old ones?

race them.
--
Martin

Jaques d'Altrades 30-09-2003 09:09 PM

How do you get rid of snails?

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:
The message
from iljunk (Pen Phill) contains these words:

We eats the tasty little beggars over ere!

Yes, but only up to a certain age, or they are like garlic-flavoured
indiarubber.

What do you do with the old ones?

race them.

Yes, I can run as fast as that, and I've got a game leg....

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

martin 30-09-2003 09:09 PM

How do you get rid of snails?

wrote:
The message
from iljunk (Pen Phill) contains these words:

We eats the tasty little beggars over ere!

Yes, but only up to a certain age, or they are like garlic-flavoured
indiarubber.

What do you do with the old ones?

race them.

Yes, I can run as fast as that, and I've got a game leg....

three legged or human race?
--
Martin

Larry Stoter 30-09-2003 09:31 PM

How do you get rid of snails?

Jaques d'Altrades wrote:

The message k
from (Larry Stoter) contains these words:

Beer in sunken margerine tubs.

Nah. They bring all their friends for a knees-up.

Precisely!

The best long-term solution is predators that eat snails (and slugs) -
Song Thrushes, Hedgehogs, Toads, Slow Worms, Glow Worms (if you're in
the right part of the country), etc.

Glow Worms?

Glow Worms mainly eat snails - strange but true. This is why, so I
understand, that you usually only find glow worms in chalk/limestone
areas because such areas have many more snails because of the greater
availablity of calcium for making shells.

snips ...

--
Larry Stoter

martin 30-09-2003 09:31 PM

How do you get rid of snails?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:14:23 +0100, (Larry
Stoter) wrote:

Jaques d'Altrades wrote:

The message k
from
(Larry Stoter) contains these words:

Beer in sunken margerine tubs.

Nah. They bring all their friends for a knees-up.

Precisely!

The best long-term solution is predators that eat snails (and slugs) -
Song Thrushes, Hedgehogs, Toads, Slow Worms, Glow Worms (if you're in
the right part of the country), etc.

Glow Worms?

Glow Worms mainly eat snails - strange but true. This is why, so I
understand, that you usually only find glow worms in chalk/limestone
areas because such areas have many more snails because of the greater
availablity of calcium for making shells.

There's something illogical about this. There is absolutely no
shortage of snails here. There is no chalk within 2oo miles of here
and there are no glowworms in our garden.
--
Martin

Larry Stoter 30-09-2003 09:46 PM

How do you get rid of snails?

martin wrote:

snips ....

There's something illogical about this. There is absolutely no
shortage of snails here. There is no chalk within 2oo miles of here
and there are no glowworms in our garden.

But what about all that bonemeal you put on the garden? Or your concrete
driveway?

Snails must be getting calcium from somewhere to make shells.
--
Larry Stoter

martin 30-09-2003 10:46 PM

How do you get rid of snails?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:23:41 +0100, (Larry
Stoter) wrote:

martin wrote:

snips ....

There's something illogical about this. There is absolutely no
shortage of snails here. There is no chalk within 2oo miles of here
and there are no glowworms in our garden.

But what about all that bonemeal you put on the garden? Or your concrete
driveway?

we don't put bone meal on our garden and we haven't a concrete drive
way. I thought that as a result of BSE F&M bone meal was banned
nowadays.

Snails must be getting calcium from somewhere to make shells.

the same place as I get mine from munching vegetables etc.
--
Martin

Kay Easton 01-10-2003 08:22 AM

How do you get rid of snails?

In article , Larry
Stoter writes

Glow Worms mainly eat snails - strange but true. This is why, so I
understand, that you usually only find glow worms in chalk/limestone
areas because such areas have many more snails because of the greater
availablity of calcium for making shells.

I wish someone would tell my snails they're not meant to be here!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: