GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How do you get rid of snails? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44348-how-do-you-get-rid-snails.html)

martin 01-10-2003 02:22 PM

How do you get rid of snails?

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:11:30 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Larry
Stoter writes

Glow Worms mainly eat snails - strange but true. This is why, so I
understand, that you usually only find glow worms in chalk/limestone
areas because such areas have many more snails because of the greater
availablity of calcium for making shells.

are slugs really snails suffering from calcium deficiency?

I wish someone would tell my snails they're not meant to be here!

and ours in Dutch.
--
Martin

Franz Heymann 01-10-2003 03:12 PM

How do you get rid of snails?

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
.uk...
Jaques d'Altrades wrote:

The message k
from (Larry Stoter) contains these words:

Beer in sunken margerine tubs.

Nah. They bring all their friends for a knees-up.

Precisely!

The best long-term solution is predators that eat snails (and slugs) -
Song Thrushes, Hedgehogs, Toads, Slow Worms, Glow Worms (if you're in
the right part of the country), etc.

Glow Worms?

Glow Worms mainly eat snails - strange but true. This is why, so I
understand, that you usually only find glow worms in chalk/limestone
areas because such areas have many more snails because of the greater
availablity of calcium for making shells.

If I had to rely on glow worms to rid me of a snail or slug infestation, I
would not need any outdoor electric lights.

Franz

David Hill 01-10-2003 08:22 PM

How do you get rid of snails?

"........ The best long-term solution is predators that eat snails (and
slugs) - Song Thrushes, Hedgehogs, Toads, Slow Worms, Glow Worms (if you're
in
the right part of the country), etc. .............."

Only problem is all your plants are trampled to death by all the predators
fighting over the snails

And dint we have 2 forms of glow worms in the UK?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Jaques d'Altrades 01-10-2003 11:02 PM

How do you get rid of snails?

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

And dint we have 2 forms of glow worms in the UK?

Male and female? The only two forms I know of, or mentioned in my beetlebook.

(You're not thinking of 'Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds' are you?)

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

martin 02-10-2003 11:44 AM

How do you get rid of snails?

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 22:02:46 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

And dint we have 2 forms of glow worms in the UK?

Male and female? The only two forms I know of, or mentioned in my beetlebook.

(You're not thinking of 'Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds' are you?)

or thinking with the assistance of LSD?
--
Martin