GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Green fly / soapy water (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44425-green-fly-soapy-water.html)

John Edgar 30-09-2003 04:12 PM

Green fly / soapy water

My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Thanks

John
In limine sapientiae

Victoria Clare 30-09-2003 05:02 PM

Green fly / soapy water

John Edgar wrote in
:

My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

It will, but keep it very dilute indeed - a drop or so, no more.

This year my roses have been doing well enough that I haven't bothered
though - I just give them a blast with the hosepipe from time to time, to
wash the greenfly off. They don't seem to come back very quickly.

Victoria

Jane Ransom 30-09-2003 06:42 PM

Green fly / soapy water

In article , John Edgar
writes
My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

In the past I have just chucked my old washing up water over them and it
seems to have done the job.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Pam Moore 30-09-2003 08:12 PM

Green fly / soapy water

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:07:35 +0100, John Edgar
wrote:

My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

I, too, have used washing up liquid but found it adversely affected
the leaves of some plants.
On one GQT programme Pippa Greenwood said it must be soft soap and
NOT detergent.
I remember Pippa saying a year or so ago that as a child she used to
help her parents by mixing Lux flakes in water for spraying. Can one
still buy Lux flakes? I don't know. I have a big tub of insecticidal
soap purchased years ago and assume it is still effective.
BTW I have not seen any whitefly on any of my plants this year and
very few aphids.

Pam in Bristol

Franz Heymann 30-09-2003 09:09 PM

Green fly / soapy water

"John Edgar" wrote in message
My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Washing-up liquid is not soap.

Franz

martin 30-09-2003 09:31 PM

Green fly / soapy water

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:56:33 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"John Edgar" wrote in message
.. .
My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Washing-up liquid is not soap.

soft soap isn't either or is it?
--
Martin

Nick Maclaren 30-09-2003 10:06 PM

Green fly / soapy water

In article ,
martin wrote:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:56:33 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:
"John Edgar" wrote in message
. ..

My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Washing-up liquid is not soap.

soft soap isn't either or is it?

Yes, it is.

I can't tell you what the difference is between a detergent and a
soap, though I could ask my tame biochemist (my wife!) Soaps are
definitely salts of fatty acids, and the normal detergent in
household gloops is sodium laureth sulphate. The latter applies
whether it is shampoo, "liquid soap", washing up liquid, carpet
cleaner, car shampoo and so on - so you can use them all more-or-less
interchangeably.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

JennyC 30-09-2003 10:25 PM

Green fly / soapy water

"John Edgar" wrote in message
My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return

visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Thanks John

Soapy water and methelated spirits mixed together is even better :~))
A squirt of washing up liquid + a dollop of meths in a pint of water.
Jenny

martin 30-09-2003 10:36 PM

Green fly / soapy water

On 30 Sep 2003 20:31:58 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

wrote:
"John Edgar" wrote in message

My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Washing-up liquid is not soap.

soft soap isn't either or is it?

Yes, it is.

I can't tell you what the difference is between a detergent and a
soap, though I could ask my tame biochemist (my wife!) Soaps are
definitely salts of fatty acids, and the normal detergent in
household gloops is sodium laureth sulphate.

I remember that much from school too :-)

The latter applies
whether it is shampoo, "liquid soap", washing up liquid, carpet
cleaner, car shampoo and so on - so you can use them all more-or-less
interchangeably.

Soft soap is apparently made from vegetable oils

Definition: [n] a soft (or liquid) soap made from vegetable oils;
used in certain skin diseases

*or* it's not according to..........

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition: \Soap\, n. [OE. sope, AS. s[=a]pe; akin to D. zeep, G.
seife, OHG. seifa, Icel. s[=a]pa, Sw. s?pa, Dan. s?be, and
perhaps to AS. s[=i]pan to drip, MHG. s[=i]fen, and L. sebum
tallow. Cf. {Saponaceous}.]
A substance which dissolves in water, thus forming a lather,
and is used as a cleansing agent. Soap is produced by
combining fats or oils with alkalies or alkaline earths,
usually by boiling, and consists of salts of sodium,
potassium, etc., with the fatty acids (oleic, stearic,
palmitic, etc.). See the Note below, and cf.
{Saponification}. By extension, any compound of similar
composition or properties, whether used as a cleaning agent
or not.

Note: In general, soaps are of two classes, hard and soft.
Calcium, magnesium, lead, etc., form soaps, but they
are insoluble and useless.

The purifying action of soap depends upon the
fact that it is decomposed by a large quantity of
water into free alkali and an insoluble acid
salt. The first of these takes away the fatty
dirt on washing, and the latter forms the soap
lather which envelops the greasy matter and thus
tends to remove it. --Roscoe &
Schorlemmer.

{Castile soap}, a fine-grained hard soap, white or mottled,
made of olive oil and soda; -- called also {Marseilles, or
Venetian, soap}.

{Hard soap}, any one of a great variety of soaps, of
different ingredients and color, which are hard and
compact. All solid soaps are of this class.

{Lead soap}, an insoluble, white, pliable soap made by
saponifying an oil (olive oil) with lead oxide; -- used
externally in medicine. Called also {lead plaster},
{diachylon}, etc.

{Marine soap}. See under {Marine}.

{Pills of soap} (Med.), pills containing soap and opium.

{Potash soap}, any soap made with potash, esp. the soft
soaps, and a hard soap made from potash and castor oil.

{Pumice soap}, any hard soap charged with a gritty powder, as
silica, alumina, powdered pumice, etc., which assists
mechanically in the removal of dirt.

{Resin soap}, a yellow soap containing resin, -- used in
bleaching.

{Silicated soap}, a cheap soap containing water glass (sodium
silicate).

{Soap bark}. (Bot.) See {Quillaia bark}.

{Soap bubble}, a hollow iridescent globe, formed by blowing a
film of soap suds from a pipe; figuratively, something
attractive, but extremely unsubstantial.

This soap bubble of the metaphysicians. --J. C.
Shairp.

{Soap cerate}, a cerate formed of soap, olive oil, white wax,
and the subacetate of lead, sometimes used as an
application to allay inflammation.

{Soap fat}, the refuse fat of kitchens, slaughter houses,
etc., used in making soap.

{Soap liniment} (Med.), a liniment containing soap, camphor,
and alcohol.

{Soap nut}, the hard kernel or seed of the fruit of the
soapberry tree, -- used for making beads, buttons, etc.

{Soap plant} (Bot.), one of several plants used in the place
of soap, as the {Chlorogalum pomeridianum}, a California
plant, the bulb of which, when stripped of its husk and
rubbed on wet clothes, makes a thick lather, and smells
not unlike new brown soap. It is called also {soap apple},
{soap bulb}, and {soap weed}.

{Soap tree}. (Bot.) Same as {Soapberry tree}.

{Soda soap}, a soap containing a sodium salt. The soda soaps
are all hard soaps.

{Soft soap}, a soap of a gray or brownish yellow color, and
of a slimy, jellylike consistence, made from potash or the
lye from wood ashes. It is strongly alkaline and often
contains glycerin, and is used in scouring wood, in
cleansing linen, in dyehouses, etc. Figuratively,
flattery; wheedling; blarney. [Colloq.]

{Toilet soap}, hard soap for the toilet, usually colored and
perfumed.

--
Martin

martin 30-09-2003 10:55 PM

Green fly / soapy water

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:38:42 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"John Edgar" wrote in message
.. .
My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return

visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Thanks John

Soapy water and methelated spirits mixed together is even better :~))
A squirt of washing up liquid + a dollop of meths in a pint of water.

and a small dash of bitters and a splash of tonic.......
--
Martin

Jaques d'Altrades 30-09-2003 11:40 PM

Green fly / soapy water

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"John Edgar" wrote in message

My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Washing-up liquid is not soap.

But it does the trick.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Jaques d'Altrades 01-10-2003 12:24 AM

Green fly / soapy water

The message
from martin contains these words:

Soft soap is apparently made from vegetable oils

Definition: [n] a soft (or liquid) soap made from vegetable oils;
used in certain skin diseases

*or* it's not according to..........

/snip/

Soft soap contains potash.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

martin 01-10-2003 12:25 AM

Green fly / soapy water

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:11:34 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

Soft soap is apparently made from vegetable oils

Definition: [n] a soft (or liquid) soap made from vegetable oils;
used in certain skin diseases

*or* it's not according to..........

/snip/

Soft soap contains potash.

that's what Webster Dictionary says that I quoted and you snipped
--
Martin

JennyC 01-10-2003 08:09 AM

Green fly / soapy water

"martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:38:42 +0200, "JennyC"

wrote:

"John Edgar" wrote in message
.. .
My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of

the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return

visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do

not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and

what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Thanks John

Soapy water and methelated spirits mixed together is even better

:~))
A squirt of washing up liquid + a dollop of meths in a pint of

water.

and a small dash of bitters and a splash of tonic.......
Martin

Shaken not stirred...........
Jenny

Jaques d'Altrades 01-10-2003 10:44 AM

Green fly / soapy water

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

Soft soap is apparently made from vegetable oils

Definition: [n] a soft (or liquid) soap made from vegetable oils;
used in certain skin diseases

*or* it's not according to..........

/snip/

Soft soap contains potash.

that's what Webster Dictionary says that I quoted and you snipped

You overquoted. Life's too short to wade through that lot.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

John Edgar 01-10-2003 11:44 AM

Green fly / soapy water

wrote:

My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Thanks

John
In limine sapientiae

Great. Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll soft-soap them with a
little meths. Don't want to get them too drunk: I'd rather they just
went.
John
In limine sapientiae

Martin Brown 01-10-2003 01:42 PM

Green fly / soapy water

In message , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
"John Edgar" wrote in message

My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Washing-up liquid is not soap.

But it does the trick.

Any wetting agent will interfere with insects respiration.
Soft soaps are more effective and gungy.

You do have to be careful what you use it on. Some plants do not like
this treatment. I defoliated a bay tree once this way. It stripped the
surface waxy coating and the leaves desiccated within a few days of
application.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

martin 01-10-2003 02:22 PM

Green fly / soapy water

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:51:38 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:38:42 +0200, "JennyC"

wrote:

"John Edgar" wrote in message
.. .
My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of

the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return
visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do

not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and

what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Thanks John

Soapy water and methelated spirits mixed together is even better

:~))
A squirt of washing up liquid + a dollop of meths in a pint of

water.

and a small dash of bitters and a splash of tonic.......
Martin

Shaken not stirred...........

with a Greek Cypriot Olive/Lime.........
--
Martin

martin 01-10-2003 02:22 PM

Green fly / soapy water

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

Soft soap is apparently made from vegetable oils

Definition: [n] a soft (or liquid) soap made from vegetable oils;
used in certain skin diseases

*or* it's not according to..........

/snip/

Soft soap contains potash.

that's what Webster Dictionary says that I quoted and you snipped

You overquoted. Life's too short to wade through that lot.

You need to read faster and post slower :-)
--
Martin

Victoria Clare 01-10-2003 03:02 PM

Green fly / soapy water

Martin Brown wrote in
:

In message , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these
words:
Washing-up liquid is not soap.

But it does the trick.

You do have to be careful what you use it on. Some plants do not like
this treatment. I defoliated a bay tree once this way. It stripped the
surface waxy coating and the leaves desiccated within a few days of
application.

.... This is why I suggested using only a drop. I managed to do horrible
things to a honeysuckle one year, by making it too strong a solution. Had
used it the year befo no problem, but I think my 'squirt' was bigger the
second time. It bounced back, but I had to prune it hard, as the leaves
went black in midsummer and it looked truly awful.

Victoria

Franz Heymann 01-10-2003 03:02 PM

Green fly / soapy water

"John Edgar" wrote in message

My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return

visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Washing-up liquid is not soap.

But it does the trick.

That was posted by me as a result of a premature finger twitch. I had meant
to ask whether the deading of the aphids by soap/detergent is then purely as
a result of the wetting power of the liquid?

Franz

Franz Heymann 01-10-2003 05:12 PM

Green fly / soapy water

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.222...
Martin Brown wrote in
:

In message , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these
words:
Washing-up liquid is not soap.

But it does the trick.

You do have to be careful what you use it on. Some plants do not like
this treatment. I defoliated a bay tree once this way. It stripped the
surface waxy coating and the leaves desiccated within a few days of
application.

... This is why I suggested using only a drop.

A drop in how much water? 1 cc? 1 litre? 100 litres?

I managed to do horrible
things to a honeysuckle one year, by making it too strong a solution. Had
used it the year befo no problem, but I think my 'squirt' was bigger

the
second time. It bounced back, but I had to prune it hard, as the leaves
went black in midsummer and it looked truly awful.

I sounds quite seriously as if one should lay off using this particular
cure.

Franz

Jaques d'Altrades 01-10-2003 06:02 PM

Green fly / soapy water

The message
from martin contains these words:

/snip/

Soft soap contains potash.

that's what Webster Dictionary says that I quoted and you snipped

You overquoted. Life's too short to wade through that lot.

You need to read faster and post slower :-)

As I've said, life's too sho

martin 01-10-2003 06:02 PM

Green fly / soapy water

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:15:48 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

/snip/

Soft soap contains potash.

that's what Webster Dictionary says that I quoted and you snipped

You overquoted. Life's too short to wade through that lot.

You need to read faster and post slower :-)

As I've said, life's too sho

.......... posted posthumously by his executor :-)
--
Martin

Victoria Clare 01-10-2003 06:22 PM

Green fly / soapy water

"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.222...
Martin Brown wrote in
:

In message , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains
these words:
Washing-up liquid is not soap.

But it does the trick.

You do have to be careful what you use it on. Some plants do not
like this treatment. I defoliated a bay tree once this way. It
stripped the surface waxy coating and the leaves desiccated within
a few days of application.

... This is why I suggested using only a drop.

A drop in how much water? 1 cc? 1 litre? 100 litres?

In the amount of water you'd expect to put in whatever container came to
hand if you were planning to anoint a few rose bushes with it. That
might be one litre, or it might be a washing-up-bowl-full.

I made the (I think not unreasonable) assumption that John is an amateur
gardener, and owns an ounce of common sense, and a bucket.

I suggested in my previous post that simply giving them a good wash with
a hosepipe would be my preferred option.

Incidentally, I've found commercial pre-mixed insecticides damage some
plants too. I have a Streptocarpus that hates everything I have tried:
any recommendations for this would be welcome.

Victoria

Steve Harris 01-10-2003 07:02 PM

Green fly / soapy water

Please don't null post, Franz :-)

Franz Heymann 02-10-2003 08:34 AM

Green fly / soapy water

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Please don't null post, Franz :-)

My sincere apologies. It was a consequence of working on-line and pushing
the send button prematurely.

Franz

Franz Heymann 02-10-2003 08:34 AM

Green fly / soapy water

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.209...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

[...]

If one drop in a bucket of water is sufficient, it would mean that it is
extremely potent stuff .

{:-))

[snip]

Franz

John Edgar 02-10-2003 12:22 PM

Green fly / soapy water

In the amount of water you'd expect to put in whatever container came to
hand if you were planning to anoint a few rose bushes with it. That
might be one litre, or it might be a washing-up-bowl-full.

I made the (I think not unreasonable) assumption that John is an amateur
gardener correct , and owns an ounce of common sense a bit , and a bucket 4 actually.

The rains have come at last, so I hope the little critters will leave
of their own accord. I'll keep watching though . . .