GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   manuring (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44561-manuring.html)

Franz Heymann 02-10-2003 12:06 PM

manuring

This is the time of the year when I always wonder whether to apply pelleted
chicken manure now or whether I should wait till the spring, in case all the
goodness is leached out duting the winter.

Who is prepared to stick its neck out?

Franz

bnd777 02-10-2003 06:42 PM

manuring

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
This is the time of the year when I always wonder whether to apply

pelleted
chicken manure now or whether I should wait till the spring, in case all

the
goodness is leached out duting the winter.

Who is prepared to stick its neck out?

Franz

Much depends on your soil and its drainage but i would leave pelleted

chicken manure till spring but use compost now on my soil which is sandy and
very free draining

Bob Hobden 02-10-2003 06:43 PM

manuring

"Franz wrote in message
This is the time of the year when I always wonder whether to apply

pelleted
chicken manure now or whether I should wait till the spring, in case all

the
goodness is leached out duting the winter.

Who is prepared to stick its neck out?

Me as usual!
Now's the time for well rotted manure to be incorporated, put the pelleted
chicken manure around your plants in the spring early summer as they grow.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Janet Baraclough 03-10-2003 12:23 AM

manuring

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

This is the time of the year when I always wonder whether to apply pelleted
chicken manure now or whether I should wait till the spring, in case all the
goodness is leached out duting the winter.

Who is prepared to stick its neck out?

I'm still putting it in planting holes for new shrubs because I reckon
it encourages new root development. The above-ground parts won't grow
till next year, but roots should continue growing for a couple of months
yet, and the benefit of that will show next year.

Janet

Franz Heymann 03-10-2003 11:54 PM

manuring

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

This is the time of the year when I always wonder whether to apply

pelleted
chicken manure now or whether I should wait till the spring, in case all

the
goodness is leached out duting the winter.

Who is prepared to stick its neck out?

I'm still putting it in planting holes for new shrubs because I reckon
it encourages new root development. The above-ground parts won't grow
till next year, but roots should continue growing for a couple of months
yet, and the benefit of that will show next year.

Thanks for that info. I will put it in practice.

Franz