Old 02-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Franz Heymann

Default manuring

This is the time of the year when I always wonder whether to apply pelleted
chicken manure now or whether I should wait till the spring, in case all the
goodness is leached out duting the winter.

Who is prepared to stick its neck out?

Franz

Old 02-10-2003, 06:42 PM
bnd777

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
This is the time of the year when I always wonder whether to apply

pelleted
chicken manure now or whether I should wait till the spring, in case all

the
goodness is leached out duting the winter.

Who is prepared to stick its neck out?

Franz

Much depends on your soil and its drainage but i would leave pelleted

chicken manure till spring but use compost now on my soil which is sandy and
very free draining

Old 02-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Bob Hobden

"Franz wrote in message
This is the time of the year when I always wonder whether to apply

pelleted
chicken manure now or whether I should wait till the spring, in case all

the
goodness is leached out duting the winter.

Who is prepared to stick its neck out?

Me as usual!
Now's the time for well rotted manure to be incorporated, put the pelleted
chicken manure around your plants in the spring early summer as they grow.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 03-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

This is the time of the year when I always wonder whether to apply pelleted
chicken manure now or whether I should wait till the spring, in case all the
goodness is leached out duting the winter.

Who is prepared to stick its neck out?

I'm still putting it in planting holes for new shrubs because I reckon
it encourages new root development. The above-ground parts won't grow
till next year, but roots should continue growing for a couple of months
yet, and the benefit of that will show next year.

Janet
Old 03-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

This is the time of the year when I always wonder whether to apply

pelleted
chicken manure now or whether I should wait till the spring, in case all

the
goodness is leached out duting the winter.

Who is prepared to stick its neck out?

I'm still putting it in planting holes for new shrubs because I reckon
it encourages new root development. The above-ground parts won't grow
till next year, but roots should continue growing for a couple of months
yet, and the benefit of that will show next year.

Thanks for that info. I will put it in practice.

Franz

Old 04-10-2003, 01:46 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

This is the time of the year when I always wonder whether to apply

pelleted
chicken manure now or whether I should wait till the spring, in case all

the
goodness is leached out duting the winter.

Who is prepared to stick its neck out?

I'm still putting it in planting holes for new shrubs because I reckon
it encourages new root development. The above-ground parts won't grow
till next year, but roots should continue growing for a couple of months
yet, and the benefit of that will show next year.

Thanks for that info. I will put it in practice.

Franz

Green manuring Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 3 05-09-2010 04:18 PM
Green manuring sam United Kingdom 1 14-02-2007 08:19 PM
Green manuring. sam United Kingdom 1 28-10-2006 12:36 AM