GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Squirrels (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44590-squirrels.html)

al 02-10-2003 07:23 PM

Squirrels

For a month or so now, little holes have been appearing in my nice new lawn
and in my flowerbeds. Finally, I caught one of the little buggers at it -
it was a squirrel trying to bury a nut!!

Is there any way of stopping them or discouraging them from my garden? What
attracts them to me?

[email protected] 02-10-2003 08:42 PM

Squirrels

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:49:46 +0100, "al"
wrote:

For a month or so now, little holes have been appearing in my nice new lawn
and in my flowerbeds. Finally, I caught one of the little buggers at it -
it was a squirrel trying to bury a nut!!

Is there any way of stopping them or discouraging them from my garden? What
attracts them to me?

Do you have a long bushy tail?
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk

Zipadee Doodar 02-10-2003 10:12 PM

Squirrels

What
attracts them to me?

Your nuts.

ZD

Jaques d'Altrades 02-10-2003 10:22 PM

Squirrels

The message
from "al" contains these words:

For a month or so now, little holes have been appearing in my nice new lawn
and in my flowerbeds. Finally, I caught one of the little buggers at it -
it was a squirrel trying to bury a nut!!

Is there any way of stopping them or discouraging them from my garden? What
attracts them to me?

Squirrel pie.
Ingredients:

Five squirrels, skinned, cleaned and jointed.
about ten rashers of streaky bacon
a sprinkling of plain flour
½oz olive oil or butter
2 English onions
3 good carrots
a small parsnip
4 sticks celery
glass of red wine
teaspoon of marjoram
½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
black pepper to taste
salt if desired
pinch of sage, marjoram and thyme

Enough short pastry to make a piecrust cover over your favourite pie dish

Method.
Chop vegetables.
Cut bacon into small pieces
Heat butter or olive oil in a flat open pan.
Roll squirrel pieces in flour.
Add floured pieces, bacon and chopped onions to hot fat
Fry until juices stop coming from pieces, stirring from time to time.

When the meat is cooked (see above) remove it and the onions and place
in pie dish
Add the rest of the vegetables
Now add the surplus flour to the fat in the pan and make a roux using
the red wine and any stock or vegetable stock you have to thin it to the
consistency of white sauce. Add herbs and spices and stir in.

Add the gravy to the contents of your pie dish and cover with pastry.
(You may wish to use a piecrust raiser thingamejig-wotsit)

Cook in oven until piecrust is done.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Janice 02-10-2003 11:02 PM

Squirrels

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
Finally, I caught one of the little buggers at it -
it was a squirrel trying to bury a nut!!

I wonder if setting a rat trap, baited with peanuts or similar, would catch
them? Anyone know if that'd work?

al 02-10-2003 11:12 PM

Squirrels

wrote in message
Is there any way of stopping them or discouraging them from my garden?

What
attracts them to me?

Do you have a long bushy tail?
--
Stuart Baldwin

Is that a line you use often?? ;P

[email protected] 03-10-2003 12:23 AM

Squirrels

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 23:05:34 +0100, "al"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Is there any way of stopping them or discouraging them from my garden?

What
attracts them to me?

Do you have a long bushy tail?
--
Stuart Baldwin

Is that a line you use often?? ;P

When I think I can get away with it.

So, no.

al 03-10-2003 08:34 AM

Squirrels

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message

What
attracts them to me?

Your nuts.

ZD

Yeah, OK, I can see this line of questioning is going to get me far! But
come on, why my garden? Why in grass? Why not in the bloody great park
behind my house!?

Also - general knowledge question on the little bushy rodents .... do they
hibernate and are they at all nocturnal?

al 03-10-2003 08:34 AM

Squirrels

"Janice" wrote in message

I wonder if setting a rat trap, baited with peanuts or similar, would

catch
them? Anyone know if that'd work?

Ewwwww ... but then I'd have to dispose of them! I just want to make my
garden a place they don't want to come to ...

bigboard 03-10-2003 09:42 AM

Squirrels

al wrote:
"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message

What

attracts them to me?

Your nuts.

ZD

Yeah, OK, I can see this line of questioning is going to get me far! But
come on, why my garden? Why in grass? Why not in the bloody great park
behind my house!?

Also - general knowledge question on the little bushy rodents .... do they
hibernate and are they at all nocturnal?

AFAIK, they sort of hibernate! And only if it gets very cold, otherwise
they're up and about most of the winter.

As for why they bury their nuts in your garden rather than the park, I
would guess that the park is mostly grassland and there are no obvious
landmarks for reference points as to where they left there nuts.

My solution would be to leave them alone, but if they were really
causing a nuisance, to shoot them. I realise this may not be desirable
for you or practical!

Jaques d'Altrades 03-10-2003 12:15 PM

Squirrels

The message
from "al" contains these words:

Also - general knowledge question on the little bushy rodents .... do they
hibernate and are they at all nocturnal?

They don't properly hibernate, they snooze at reduced metabolism rate,
then waken if the temperature is high enough and search for hidden nuts.

They aren't at all nocturnal AFAIK, but might be fooled by strong
artificial lights. I've never seen one after dark, and yes, I probably
would, as I go lamping for rats and foxes.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk