GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Slugs !!!!!!!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/44732-slugs.html)

anita 04-10-2003 05:59 PM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE
Can someone tell me a way to get rid of slugs that really works
their eating everything in my garden , and nothing works eg
grit, egg shell, pellets, what am i missing?

Geo 04-10-2003 06:42 PM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:00:01 GMT, anita
wrote:

what am i missing?

Flock of hungry birds?
Geo

bnd777 04-10-2003 08:22 PM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

s.com...
--
anita

Encourage a major bird population especially Thrushes

Franz Heymann 04-10-2003 08:22 PM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
PLEASE PLEASE
Can someone tell me a way to get rid of slugs that really works
their eating everything in my garden , and nothing works eg
grit, egg shell, pellets, what am i missing?

I have never before heard of pellets which do not work. Are they actually
metaldehyde pellets, or are they some substitute?

Franz

Alan Gabriel 04-10-2003 11:51 PM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
PLEASE PLEASE
Can someone tell me a way to get rid of slugs that really works
their eating everything in my garden , and nothing works eg
grit, egg shell, pellets, what am i missing?

Go out at night with a torch and a bucket, especially after rain.

Collect the offending beasts in the bucket and sprinkle liberally with salt.

Repeat this nightly until the frosts.

Start again in Spring.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

William Tasso 05-10-2003 11:22 AM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

anita wrote:
PLEASE PLEASE
Can someone tell me a way to get rid of slugs that really works
their eating everything in my garden , and nothing works eg
grit, egg shell, pellets, what am i missing?

Encourage predators - it's a major undertaking and means you must stop using
poisons but it's worth it. In the mean-time, the torch and bucket routine -
as suggested by Alan Gould - will yield splendid results.

--
William Tasso

martin 05-10-2003 02:02 PM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:12:14 +0100, "Alan Gabriel"
wrote:

"anita" wrote in message
ws.com...
PLEASE PLEASE
Can someone tell me a way to get rid of slugs that really works
their eating everything in my garden , and nothing works eg
grit, egg shell, pellets, what am i missing?

Go out at night with a torch and a bucket, especially after rain.

Collect the offending beasts in the bucket and sprinkle liberally with salt.

fry with garlic, serve with a dry white wine?
--
Martin

Rhiannon S 05-10-2003 02:12 PM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

Subject: Slugs !!!!!!!!
From: martin
Date: 05/10/2003 13:54 GMT Daylight Time
wrote:

"anita" wrote in message
ews.com...
PLEASE PLEASE
Can someone tell me a way to get rid of slugs that really works
their eating everything in my garden , and nothing works eg
grit, egg shell, pellets, what am i missing?

Go out at night with a torch and a bucket, especially after rain.

Collect the offending beasts in the bucket and sprinkle liberally with salt.

fry with garlic, serve with a dry white wine?

Oooh, time for repost for su

http://bertc.com/slug_fritters.htm

and

http://bertc.com/garden_snails.htm#x
****************************
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Q: how many witches does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: depends on what you want it changed into!

martin 05-10-2003 02:22 PM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

On 05 Oct 2003 13:01:35 GMT, emon (Rhiannon S)

From: martin

Date: 05/10/2003 13:54 GMT Daylight Time
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:12:14 +0100, "Alan Gabriel"
wrote:

"anita" wrote in message
news.com...
PLEASE PLEASE
Can someone tell me a way to get rid of slugs that really works
their eating everything in my garden , and nothing works eg
grit, egg shell, pellets, what am i missing?

Go out at night with a torch and a bucket, especially after rain.

Collect the offending beasts in the bucket and sprinkle liberally with salt.

fry with garlic, serve with a dry white wine?

Oooh, time for repost for su

http://bertc.com/slug_fritters.htm

a)don't you have to make sure they have nothing nasty inside them
first the way you have to with snails
b) no mention of a suitable wine
c) have you tried it?

and

http://bertc.com/garden_snails.htm#x
****************************
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Q: how many witches does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: depends on what you want it changed into!

--
Martin

Rhiannon S 05-10-2003 02:22 PM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

From: martin
Date: 05/10/2003 14:13 GMT Daylight Time
On 05 Oct 2003 13:01:35 GMT,
emon (Rhiannon S)

From: martin

Date: 05/10/2003 13:54 GMT Daylight Time
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:12:14 +0100, "Alan Gabriel"
wrote:

"anita" wrote in message
anews.com...
PLEASE PLEASE
Can someone tell me a way to get rid of slugs that really works
their eating everything in my garden , and nothing works eg
grit, egg shell, pellets, what am i missing?

Go out at night with a torch and a bucket, especially after rain.

Collect the offending beasts in the bucket and sprinkle liberally with

salt.

fry with garlic, serve with a dry white wine?

Oooh, time for repost for su

http://bertc.com/slug_fritters.htm

a)don't you have to make sure they have nothing nasty inside them
first the way you have to with snails
b) no mention of a suitable wine
c) have you tried it?

Not yet, but the way my money is running out, it may come to that.

--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Q: how many witches does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: depends on what you want it changed into!

martin 05-10-2003 02:42 PM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

On 05 Oct 2003 13:15:10 GMT, emon (Rhiannon S)

From: martin

Date: 05/10/2003 14:13 GMT Daylight Time
On 05 Oct 2003 13:01:35 GMT,
emon (Rhiannon S)

From: martin

Date: 05/10/2003 13:54 GMT Daylight Time
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:12:14 +0100, "Alan Gabriel"
wrote:

"anita" wrote in message
ranews.com...
PLEASE PLEASE
Can someone tell me a way to get rid of slugs that really works
their eating everything in my garden , and nothing works eg
grit, egg shell, pellets, what am i missing?

Go out at night with a torch and a bucket, especially after rain.

Collect the offending beasts in the bucket and sprinkle liberally with

salt.

fry with garlic, serve with a dry white wine?

Oooh, time for repost for su

http://bertc.com/slug_fritters.htm

a)don't you have to make sure they have nothing nasty inside them
first the way you have to with snails
b) no mention of a suitable wine
c) have you tried it?

Not yet, but the way my money is running out, it may come to that.

There's plenty of free range slugs about :-)

Just been eating our delicious home grown grapes YUMMY!
--
Martin

Derek Turner 05-10-2003 04:13 PM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

wrote:

PLEASE PLEASE
Can someone tell me a way to get rid of slugs that really works
their eating everything in my garden , and nothing works eg
grit, egg shell, pellets, what am i missing?

hens!
--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.

Jaques d'Altrades 05-10-2003 05:42 PM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

The message
from emon (Rhiannon S) contains these words:

Oooh, time for repost for su

http://bertc.com/slug_fritters.htm

and

http://bertc.com/garden_snails.htm#x

Thank you for that. I'll keep the recipes for when I serve my (black)
nightshade pie.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

anita 05-10-2003 09:22 PM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Jaques d'Altrades
The message
from emon (Rhiannon S) contains these words:

Oooh, time for repost for su

http://bertc.com/slug_fritters.htm

and

http://bertc.com/garden_snails.htm#x

Thank you for that. I'll keep the recipes for when I serve my (black)
nightshade pie.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

You guys are mad!!!!!!
Thanks for the advice .
The neigbours will think i am up to no good out at night with a torch.

Anita X

Mark B 06-10-2003 12:08 AM

Slugs !!!!!!!!

wrote:

"anita" wrote in message
ws.com...
PLEASE PLEASE
Can someone tell me a way to get rid of slugs that really works
their eating everything in my garden , and nothing works eg
grit, egg shell, pellets, what am i missing?

Go out at night with a torch and a bucket, especially after rain.

Collect the offending beasts in the bucket and sprinkle liberally with

salt.

fry with garlic, serve with a dry white wine?

Don't you mean Whisky? I've heard of a 'slug of whisky' but not of wine.

mark b