GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/45272-ot-sort-new-use-lobelia.html)

Franz Heymann 15-10-2003 10:32 PM

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:22:19 +0100, Christopher Norton
wrote:

The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

/lobelia tablets/

Have you been able to buy them over here, Sacha? I could do with

them
also.

Pam in Bristol

I've never seen them over here. OTOH, I've never looked for them,

either
because I had no idea Lobelia was used for this. I found this site
which is
in UK and stocks them: http://www.herbalmed.co.uk/cat2_1.htm
They're £5.45 for 100 but worth it if one suffers badly from this
nuisance..

They should sell well in Lincolnshire. Allegedly.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Probably would but could someone explain in Lincs terms what "post nasel
drip" is? Are we talking about dewdrops?

and where exactly do you put the lobelias to stop it?

In your nostrils, of course. You would look silly walking around with the
lobelias pushed into any other orifices.
And would simple tufts of cottonwool not be as effective?

Franz

martin 15-10-2003 11:02 PM

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:25:02 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

dunno it might be a bit more discreet. I assumed they were used as
suppositories.

And would simple tufts of cottonwool not be as effective?

I hoped you would ask that Franz :-)
--
Martin

Sacha 15-10-2003 11:32 PM

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

in article , martin at

wrote:

[...]

I do wish more parents would remember to make passwords for their computers.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Andy Spragg 16-10-2003 05:02 AM

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

Sacha pushed briefly to the front of
the queue on Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:26:38 +0100, and nailed this to the
shed door:

^ in article , martin at
^
^
^ wrote:

^ And would simple tufts of cottonwool not be as effective?
^
^ I hoped you would ask that Franz :-)
^
^ I do wish more parents would remember to make passwords for their computers.

Damn, I unaccountably missed the start of this thread and now I wish I
hadn't :-) What was the alleged new use for lobelia?

Andy
--

"No, you claim the magpie is to blame for all the
worlds ills, based on your ignorance of magpies."

martin 16-10-2003 08:02 AM

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

^
^ wrote:

^ And would simple tufts of cottonwool not be as effective?
^
^ I hoped you would ask that Franz :-)
^
^ I do wish more parents would remember to make passwords for their computers.

Damn, I unaccountably missed the start of this thread and now I wish I
hadn't :-) What was the alleged new use for lobelia?

Inhibition of post nasal drip!
--
Martin

Sacha 16-10-2003 11:02 AM

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

in article , Andy Spragg at

^
^ wrote:

^ And would simple tufts of cottonwool not be as effective?
^
^ I hoped you would ask that Franz :-)
^
^ I do wish more parents would remember to make passwords for their computers.

Damn, I unaccountably missed the start of this thread and now I wish I
hadn't :-) What was the alleged new use for lobelia?

Andy
--

The alleviation of 'post nasal drip' aka 'catarrh'.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

martin 16-10-2003 01:12 PM

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:47:04 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

in article , Andy Spragg at

^
^ wrote:

^ And would simple tufts of cottonwool not be as effective?
^
^ I hoped you would ask that Franz :-)
^
^ I do wish more parents would remember to make passwords for their computers.

Damn, I unaccountably missed the start of this thread and now I wish I
hadn't :-) What was the alleged new use for lobelia?

Andy
--

The alleviation of 'post nasal drip' aka 'catarrh'.

and of sinusitis??

How is the lobelia applied?

The best cure for catarrh and sinus problems is a spell in a hot dry
country. I suffered badly from sinusitis when I lived in the Thames
Valley. I spent 4 months in California and have never had a problem
since. Keeping the humidity low in your house/office helps too.
--
Martin

Christopher Norton 16-10-2003 01:22 PM

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Probably would but could someone explain in Lincs terms what "post nasel
drip" is? Are we talking about dewdrops?

Pass. But I had a vision of a skeletal crumbly in a long brown macintosh
(endemic to Lincs, and unknown elsewhere) and sporting a glittering drip
under his nose, pedalling a vast old bike slower than walking pace.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

On that description, it is the locally known "dewdrop". And yes we have
plenty of old crumbly`s in the dirty man mac.

It`s a mystery to me how they manage to keep upright on the bikes. There
is also another type that manage to pedal really slowly but go like the
clappers. Make Lance Armstrong look slow!!!!!!

We have a fine example on our Allotment site called unsurprisingly "Harry".

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use

martin 16-10-2003 01:22 PM

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:17:57 +0100, Christopher Norton
wrote:

The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Probably would but could someone explain in Lincs terms what "post nasel
drip" is? Are we talking about dewdrops?

Pass. But I had a vision of a skeletal crumbly in a long brown macintosh
(endemic to Lincs, and unknown elsewhere) and sporting a glittering drip
under his nose, pedalling a vast old bike slower than walking pace.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

On that description, it is the locally known "dewdrop". And yes we have
plenty of old crumbly`s in the dirty man mac.

It`s a mystery to me how they manage to keep upright on the bikes.

Have you ever seen gravity defying Dutch cyclists?

There
is also another type that manage to pedal really slowly but go like the
clappers. Make Lance Armstrong look slow!!!!!!

We have a fine example on our Allotment site called unsurprisingly "Harry".

"Old" Harry?
--
Martin

Jaques d'Altrades 16-10-2003 07:22 PM

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

The message
from martin contains these words:

and where exactly do you put the lobelias to stop it?

In your nostrils, of course. You would look silly walking around with the
lobelias pushed into any other orifices.

dunno it might be a bit more discreet. I assumed they were used as
suppositories.

I though that carry-on was with a daffodil....

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Franz Heymann 16-10-2003 08:32 PM

wrote:

[...]

How does gravity achieve that feat?

Franz

martin 16-10-2003 09:42 PM

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:30:03 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

and where exactly do you put the lobelias to stop it?

In your nostrils, of course. You would look silly walking around with the
lobelias pushed into any other orifices.

dunno it might be a bit more discreet. I assumed they were used as
suppositories.

I though that carry-on was with a daffodil....

LOL fetch your coat!
--
Martin

LizR 16-10-2003 11:02 PM

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:17:57 +0100, Christopher Norton

It`s a mystery to me how they manage to keep upright on the bikes. There
is also another type that manage to pedal really slowly but go like the
clappers. Make Lance Armstrong look slow!!!!!!

Oh, that's the lost art of cycling in the right gear! How much easier on the eye it
is than those mountain bikers with their little-fat-legs flailing round and round and
the bike scarcely moving up a slight incline. I don't really think you should have
more gears than IQ points, do you?

Liz :-)

martin 16-10-2003 11:02 PM

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:46:19 GMT, LizR wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:17:57 +0100, Christopher Norton

It`s a mystery to me how they manage to keep upright on the bikes. There
is also another type that manage to pedal really slowly but go like the
clappers. Make Lance Armstrong look slow!!!!!!

Oh, that's the lost art of cycling in the right gear! How much easier on the eye it
is than those mountain bikers with their little-fat-legs flailing round and round and
the bike scarcely moving up a slight incline. I don't really think you should have
more gears than IQ points, do you?

not if you wear pink lycra.
--
Martin