GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blackbirds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/45430-blackbirds.html)

Lucy 14-10-2003 03:24 PM

Blackbirds

I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
stabilising the bark?
Lucy

jane 14-10-2003 04:02 PM

Blackbirds

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

~I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
~leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
~point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
~they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
~until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
~stabilising the bark?
~Lucy
~
~
black (coloured) bird netting?

--
jane

Mark Twain

JennyC 14-10-2003 04:22 PM

Blackbirds

"Lucy" wrote in message
I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen

dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to

point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent

paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and

off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a

way of
stabilising the bark?
Lucy

No :~(

Keep a rake or broom handy and sweep up every day :~)
Jenny

Ron Clark 14-10-2003 04:22 PM

Blackbirds

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
stabilising the bark?

It's either araldite or put up with your feathered friends

--
®óñ© © ²°°³

c.mcculloch 14-10-2003 04:32 PM

Blackbirds

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Lucy" wrote in message
I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen

dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to

point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent

paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and

off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a

way of
stabilising the bark?
Lucy

No :~(

Keep a rake or broom handy and sweep up every day :~)
Jenny

I do - but I am getting tired of it!

c.mcculloch 14-10-2003 04:32 PM

Blackbirds

"jane" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

~I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
~leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
~point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
~they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
~until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
~stabilising the bark?
~Lucy
~
~
black (coloured) bird netting?

I did think of that, but is there a chance of their feet geting entangled?

I am often away for a few days, and I don't really dislike blackbirds...
Lucy

Mark Twain

c.mcculloch 14-10-2003 04:32 PM

Blackbirds

"Ron Clark" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
stabilising the bark?

It's either araldite or put up with your feathered friends

I think this could be interesting if I could find something cheaper that

araldite! PVA perhaps? I'd need to keep the little beggars off until it
dried, or I might get some unwanted garden ornaments.
Lucy
--
®óñ© © ²°°³

Lucy 14-10-2003 04:42 PM

Blackbirds

"jane" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

~I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
~leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
~point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
~they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
~until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
~stabilising the bark?
~Lucy
~
~
black (coloured) bird netting?

I had thought of that, but just a bit worried about their feet getting

caught - I am often away for a few days at a time. Anybody tried it?
Lucy
--
jane

Mark Twain

Lucy 14-10-2003 05:03 PM

Blackbirds

"Ron Clark" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
stabilising the bark?

It's either araldite or put up with your feathered friends

Araldite is too expensive, I fear. Another adhesive - PVA perhaps?

Whatever, I would need to keep the birds off until it dried, or the result
might be some unwanted ornaments.
Lucy
--
®óñ© © ²°°³

Lucy 14-10-2003 05:03 PM

Blackbirds

Are onmaps all the preceding stuff? If so, sorry about my last reply! I am a
bit new to newsgroups.
Lucy

Sacha 14-10-2003 06:03 PM

Blackbirds

in article , jane at
wrote on 14/10/03 3:54 pm:

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

~I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
~leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
~point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
~they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
~until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
~stabilising the bark?
~Lucy
~
~
black (coloured) bird netting?

I'm sorry to be contentious but what would that achieve other than trapped
birds?
I'd prefer to have all kinds of crap thrown all over our garden to ensure
the blackbirds and all other kinds of birds keep coming to it. For a start,
they're eating insects that some people will next year have to spray to
kill, for a second they are doing what comes naturally and it is we, who
have a passion for immaculate gardens and squared away, hospital-corner
flower beds who are metaphorically treading on their toes.
Leave the birds alone and be glad to have them - all too many are now
disappearing.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Jane Ransom 14-10-2003 07:13 PM

Blackbirds

In article , Lucy
writes
I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
stabilising the bark?

Don't bother with the bark, buy a sparrowhawk image from an
RSPB place and hang it above the bark - it will keep the birds away.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Jim W 14-10-2003 07:32 PM

Blackbirds

Lucy wrote:

I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
stabilising the bark?

We also use bark, and also have blackbirds.. They do seem particlularly
active at this time of year.. Messy little sods aren;t they.. I sweep
up now and then when the path starts to dissapear a bit!-)

We also have foxes, cats and god know what else..

No real answer that I've found.. Use a different, less B'bird attractive
mulch, mebbe? The sign of food for them is a good thing anyway, shows
that there's life there!. Better thana concrete desert IMO!-)

//
Jim

Sad Sid 14-10-2003 08:02 PM

Blackbirds

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g2u1if.bgcaklps1342N%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...
Lucy wrote:

I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark but the blackbirds are throwing

it all over the adjacent paving

We also have foxes, cats and god know what else..

Same here. The blackbirds have great fun tossing the bark around, but I
don't really mind.
But the foxes burrow under the bark and then shred the weed control fabric
underneath. That I DO mind!
But I mustn't do anything to upset the little darlings 'cos my neighbour
feeds them every evening. (I must confess it is lovely to watch the vixen
and her cubs coming up to the conservatory to feed - often followed by our
two Burmese cats)