Old 14-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Lucy

Default Blackbirds

I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
stabilising the bark?
Lucy

Old 14-10-2003, 04:02 PM
jane

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

~I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
~leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
~point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
~they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
~until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
~stabilising the bark?
~Lucy
~
~
black (coloured) bird netting?

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 14-10-2003, 04:22 PM
JennyC

"Lucy" wrote in message
I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen

dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to

point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent

paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and

off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a

way of
stabilising the bark?
Lucy

No :~(

Keep a rake or broom handy and sweep up every day :~)
Jenny

Old 14-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Ron Clark

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
stabilising the bark?

It's either araldite or put up with your feathered friends

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 14-10-2003, 04:32 PM
c.mcculloch

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Lucy" wrote in message
I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen

dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to

point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent

paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and

off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a

way of
stabilising the bark?
Lucy

No :~(

Keep a rake or broom handy and sweep up every day :~)
Jenny

I do - but I am getting tired of it!

Old 14-10-2003, 04:32 PM
c.mcculloch

"jane" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

~I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
~leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
~point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
~they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
~until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
~stabilising the bark?
~Lucy
~
~
black (coloured) bird netting?

I did think of that, but is there a chance of their feet geting entangled?

I am often away for a few days, and I don't really dislike blackbirds...
Lucy

Mark Twain

Old 14-10-2003, 04:32 PM
c.mcculloch

"Ron Clark" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
stabilising the bark?

It's either araldite or put up with your feathered friends

I think this could be interesting if I could find something cheaper that

araldite! PVA perhaps? I'd need to keep the little beggars off until it
dried, or I might get some unwanted garden ornaments.
Lucy
--
®óñ© © ²°°³

Old 14-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Lucy

"jane" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

~I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
~leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
~point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
~they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
~until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
~stabilising the bark?
~Lucy
~
~
black (coloured) bird netting?

I had thought of that, but just a bit worried about their feet getting

caught - I am often away for a few days at a time. Anybody tried it?
Lucy
--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 14-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Lucy

"Ron Clark" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
stabilising the bark?

It's either araldite or put up with your feathered friends

Araldite is too expensive, I fear. Another adhesive - PVA perhaps?

Whatever, I would need to keep the birds off until it dried, or the result
might be some unwanted ornaments.
Lucy
--
®óñ© © ²°°³

Old 14-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Lucy

Are onmaps all the preceding stuff? If so, sorry about my last reply! I am a
bit new to newsgroups.
Lucy

Old 14-10-2003, 07:13 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Lucy
writes
I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
stabilising the bark?

Don't bother with the bark, buy a sparrowhawk image from an
RSPB place and hang it above the bark - it will keep the birds away.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 14-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Jim W

Lucy wrote:

I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
stabilising the bark?

We also use bark, and also have blackbirds.. They do seem particlularly
active at this time of year.. Messy little sods aren;t they.. I sweep
up now and then when the path starts to dissapear a bit!-)

We also have foxes, cats and god know what else..

No real answer that I've found.. Use a different, less B'bird attractive
mulch, mebbe? The sign of food for them is a good thing anyway, shows
that there's life there!. Better thana concrete desert IMO!-)

//
Jim

Old 14-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Sad Sid

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g2u1if.bgcaklps1342N%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...
Lucy wrote:

I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark but the blackbirds are throwing

it all over the adjacent paving

We also have foxes, cats and god know what else..

Same here. The blackbirds have great fun tossing the bark around, but I
don't really mind.
But the foxes burrow under the bark and then shred the weed control fabric
underneath. That I DO mind!
But I mustn't do anything to upset the little darlings 'cos my neighbour
feeds them every evening. (I must confess it is lovely to watch the vixen
and her cubs coming up to the conservatory to feed - often followed by our
two Burmese cats)