Old 17-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Alison

Default To plant or not to plant

I have some young perennial plants (primula vialii, candelabra hybrids,
campanula, coreopsis) that were started from seed in the spring still in 24
cell inserts (a baby came along mid-way through planting). Do you think I
should plant them out now or keep them in the inserts til next spring, or
pot them up and keep them in the polytunnel til next spring? - or indeed,
any other combination :-)

TIA
--Alison

Old 17-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Alison" o.uk
contains these words:

I have some young perennial plants (primula vialii, candelabra hybrids,
campanula, coreopsis) that were started from seed in the spring still in 24
cell inserts (a baby came along mid-way through planting). Do you think I
should plant them out now or keep them in the inserts til next spring, or
pot them up and keep them in the polytunnel til next spring?

They are very likely to freeze solid in those small cells, which is
usually fatal to baby plants. So I'd pot them up into 4" pots and keep
them in the polytunnel over winter. You'll be surprised how much new
root growth they can make at this time of year even when the topgrowth
has stopped.

It occurs to me that a polytunnel is the ideal winter spot for a baby
to have a fresh-air sleep in its pram, and you can be out there having
fun at the same time :-)

Janet.

Old 17-10-2003, 07:12 AM
David Hill

"........ It occurs to me that a polytunnel is the ideal winter spot for a
baby to have a fresh-air sleep in its pram, and you can be out there having
fun at the same time :-) ....."

Or you could get on with jobs like potting up etc.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 17-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Alison

"David Hill" wrote in message
"........ It occurs to me that a polytunnel is the ideal winter spot for

baby to have a fresh-air sleep in its pram, and you can be out there

having
fun at the same time :-) ....."

Or you could get on with jobs like potting up etc.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

*smiles* It's already one of his favourite places, poly n greenhouse. Looks
like I could have an extra helper in a few years :-)

Old 17-10-2003, 12:12 PM
David Hill

"........It's already one of his favourite places, poly n greenhouse. Looks
like I could have an extra helper in a few years :-) ...."

Hence the old term "Nursery garden" lol

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 17-10-2003, 07:44 PM
Alan Gould

In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
"........It's already one of his favourite places, poly n greenhouse. Looks
like I could have an extra helper in a few years :-) ...."

Hence the old term "Nursery garden" lol

Have a baby in the polytuynnel?
Isn't that taking propagation a bit far?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.