Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

Default The problem with ponds

Shortly after we moved here (some 2 years ago), we realised there was a leak
in the pond. We carefully scooped all the fish out (and were amazed to find
there were 200 goldfish) repaired the leak and put them all back again.

We then had serious problems with herons so (as mentioned previously) we
finally had to resort to an electric fence to keep them away.

At the beginning of this year, our garden was flooded and as the waters
receded they took most of the fish away with them - leaving us with about
20. A few weeks later, we had another flood but this time as the waters
receded, the number of fish had gone up to about 40 (the extra ones had
presumably survived in the stream at the edge of our land).

However the flood, had caused the water in the pond to become very very
murky so again we scooped all the fish out, cleaned the pond and put them
back again.

We then struggled to get the water clear - there was still a lot of residue
"mud" at the bottom of the pond and (I think) the intense sun of the summer
didn't help. Despite all the problems (or maybe because of them), the fish
have bred and we now have some 200 babies.

Over the past 3-4 weeks, the water has finally become clear and we have a
very good view of all the fish - it's very soothing to watch them at feeding
time.

UNTIL THIS MORNING - we now have a kingfisher diving for the babies!!!
Because the kingfisher is such a beautiful sight when in flight, I can
almost forgive him (or her).

Ah well, that's life I suppose - having moved from suburbia to the
countryside, I suppose we have to accept what nature throws at us!!