Old 30-01-2003, 05:15 PM
John

Default Will ponds cause (insects,mosquito etc) problem if it is too close to the house?

I like to build my pond close (4-5 feet ) to my house, but i am worry
about mosquito and other insects problem, should I build the pond far
away from the house to avoid this kinds of problem?
Thanks in advance.
John
Old 30-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Gale Pearce

We found a lot less mosquitoes after we put our pond in - ~10 ' from our
patio door - there does seem to be quite a few other insects around the
pond - I think water attracts them, but they stay mostly around the pond-
haven't been a nuisance - that may vary by region, but not a problem in SW
Ont
Gale :~)
m...

Old 30-01-2003, 06:16 PM
John Jones

"John" wrote in message
m...
I like to build my pond close (4-5 feet ) to my house, but i am

worry
about mosquito and other insects problem, should I build the

pond far
away from the house to avoid this kinds of problem?
Thanks in advance.
John

Put some fish in your pond. They'll keep the mosquitoes down.
My 1,000 gallon pond is about 15 feet away due to landscaping
considerations. I've got 4 goldfish in it, but you could
presumably use minnows from a bait shop.

I'm told that a water feature like a fountain or waterfall will
help keep larvae under control as well, but I could be mistaken
about this.

Others use "mosquito dunks" (whatever that means) and claim good
success.

Old 30-01-2003, 06:27 PM
K30a

I will have gnat hatchings and mayfly hatchings but don't notice very many
mosquitoes. They don't like water that is moving and they seem to be the
favorite on the fish menu.

k30a