GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Apple Tree Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/45883-apple-tree-question.html)

MallowKat 21-10-2003 10:12 PM

Apple Tree Question

Hello

My new house has an apple tree which was chopped down. The stump has produced
loads of shoots which are several feet high. Can I expect to get apples from
one of these shoots if I choose the best and cut the others off? Can I then
limit the height of the tree to say 7ft?

Thankyou for any replies!

Tumbleweed 21-10-2003 11:04 PM

Apple Tree Question

"MallowKat" wrote in message
Hello

My new house has an apple tree which was chopped down. The stump has

produced
loads of shoots which are several feet high. Can I expect to get apples

from
one of these shoots if I choose the best and cut the others off? Can I

then
limit the height of the tree to say 7ft?

Thankyou for any replies!

hard to say deepnds if it was grafted or not. certainly, they can be pruned
and trained but migt be difficult with a naturally tall variety. MIght be
better to growa new tree already on dwarfing rootstock.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

J Jackson 22-10-2003 09:43 AM

Apple Tree Question

:
: hard to say deepnds if it was grafted or not. certainly, they can be pruned
: and trained but migt be difficult with a naturally tall variety. MIght be
: better to growa new tree already on dwarfing rootstock.

Also depends on whether it was just down above or below the bud/graft
point. If it's below then you will simply be growing the root stock. If
above (or it was a tree on its own roots - unlikely) then you should be
able select a branch and prune and training accordingly. and you may get a
fair tree. As to keeping it at a reasonable size - that all depends on
what the rootstock is.

Jaques d'Altrades 22-10-2003 11:03 AM

Apple Tree Question

The message
from (MallowKat) contains these words:

My new house has an apple tree which was chopped down. The stump has
produced
loads of shoots which are several feet high. Can I expect to get
apples from
one of these shoots if I choose the best and cut the others off? Can I then
limit the height of the tree to say 7ft?

Yes, you can expect apples, but whether they will be any good depends on
whether the shoots are coming off above or below the original graft -
assuming it's not on its own rootstock.

You can prune it or train it to any height which suits you.

So the answer is 'suck it and see'.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

MallowKat 22-10-2003 08:03 PM

Apple Tree Question

Thankyou for all the replies. They are most helpful. I will have a go at
training it and you never know I might be eating apple pie next year :o)

Victoria Clare 22-10-2003 09:22 PM

Apple Tree Question

(MallowKat) wrote in news:20031022145520.28030.00000534
@mb-m05.aol.com:

Thankyou for all the replies. They are most helpful. I will have a go at
training it and you never know I might be eating apple pie next year :o)

Even if it's a rootstock, it may well have crabapples, and you can make
crabapple jelly :-)

Though I think you will be lucky to see fruit next year - year after, more
likely.

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill