Old 21-10-2003, 10:12 PM
MallowKat

Default Apple Tree Question

Hello

My new house has an apple tree which was chopped down. The stump has produced
loads of shoots which are several feet high. Can I expect to get apples from
one of these shoots if I choose the best and cut the others off? Can I then
limit the height of the tree to say 7ft?

Thankyou for any replies!
Old 21-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Tumbleweed

"MallowKat" wrote in message
Hello

My new house has an apple tree which was chopped down. The stump has

produced
loads of shoots which are several feet high. Can I expect to get apples

from
one of these shoots if I choose the best and cut the others off? Can I

then
limit the height of the tree to say 7ft?

Thankyou for any replies!

hard to say deepnds if it was grafted or not. certainly, they can be pruned
and trained but migt be difficult with a naturally tall variety. MIght be
better to growa new tree already on dwarfing rootstock.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 22-10-2003, 09:43 AM
J Jackson

:
: hard to say deepnds if it was grafted or not. certainly, they can be pruned
: and trained but migt be difficult with a naturally tall variety. MIght be
: better to growa new tree already on dwarfing rootstock.

Also depends on whether it was just down above or below the bud/graft
point. If it's below then you will simply be growing the root stock. If
above (or it was a tree on its own roots - unlikely) then you should be
able select a branch and prune and training accordingly. and you may get a
fair tree. As to keeping it at a reasonable size - that all depends on
what the rootstock is.

Old 22-10-2003, 08:03 PM
MallowKat

Thankyou for all the replies. They are most helpful. I will have a go at
training it and you never know I might be eating apple pie next year )