Old 24-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Shannie

Default hardy catterpillars?

Hi All,
Thursday 24th October '03.
Monday was cold, -2deg at night
Tuesday we woke to icy roads, and garden sprinkled with ice. Cold all day,
ice never made it fully off the grass.
Tuesday night it lashed rain in the early part of the night, then temps
plummeted to -4 and we woke Wednesday morning to a winter wonderland (other
parts of the country have had 36hr thunderstorms, snow, sleet etc)
temperatures got up to around 3deg during Wednesday and it rained again
Wednesday night. This morning we woke to dull grey skys, it brightened up
into a beautiful day, temps up to 12deg but its -2 at the moment and
freezing hard. Last year our first frost was mid November!
Why am I bothering telling you all this, well, Im wondering how the rotten
little catterpillars that have been feasting on my (now skeletal) sprouts
have survived all this cold, they're the green and yellow furry ones and
there are literally thousands of them, I pick em off turn round and hundreds
more appear, my chickens won't even eat them! I assumed the ice would see
em off....was I wrong??..will they diappear over winter??

Shannie..Irish midlands.

hardy geraniums - id and germination Victoria Clare United Kingdom 9 28-03-2003 07:44 PM
Hardy cyclamen? Ted Byers Gardening 7 16-03-2003 03:44 PM
Hardy annuals and biennials Martin Sykes United Kingdom 2 05-02-2003 06:25 PM
hardy annuals Marley1372 Gardening 3 27-01-2003 02:59 PM
Cutting back hardy fsuchias Peter United Kingdom 7 25-10-2002 08:05 PM