Old 08-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Buddha's Lantern? A common name?

In article ,
martin wrote:
On 8 Nov 2003 11:52:30 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Tampa Florida AFAIR.

Then whatever it is, it's tropical or sub-tropical.

Probably, but not necessarily. Florida is cool and dry enough that
it can grow many warm temperate plants.

=46rom my experience I would describe Southern Florida as hot and humid
version of the Netherlands, i.e as flat as a pancake and watery. I
have only lived in Florida in late autumn, winter and early spring :-)

I have never lived there but, to see what I mean, look at somewhere
like
www.weatherbase.com and compare places in Florida with Port
Harcourt and other locations in the humid tropics.

The point is that you CAN'T grow most temperate plants in the humid
tropics, because they die and rot (or rot and die), but you can grow
many in even the more humid parts of Florida.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Jim W

Jim W wrote:

Hi Folks,.. from a thread in rec.gardens someone is trying to find out
the latin for a plant describned to them as Buddha's lantern? Any
ideas..

Hi All.. It turned out thus.. (For anyone who was wondering..)

VICTORY! I finally found the name of the plant I was looking for!
The Latin is Mussaenda philippica. A picture is at this link.
Finally, the mystery is solved, and I can rest easy again, except for
the snippet of a tune I heard through the window of a passing car 5
DAYS AGO that I have yet to be able to identify, but one mystery at a
time... http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/16230/

I still don't know 'WHY' buddhas lantern tho;-)

But anywho.. the person who wanted to know originally is happy;-)
//
Jim
Old 09-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Sacha

http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/16230/

I shall always wonder why the OP who is from America, prsumably, didn't just
ring up Busch Gardens!
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)