GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   honey fungus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/47079-honey-fungus.html)

Jaques d'Alltrades 27-01-2004 10:47 PM

fungus

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
richard colbourn27/1/04 5:21
.net

Fungus
Last year I cut a small tree down in my front garden and have a
white fungus
growing around tree grateful for any ideas to clean stump Thanks Richard

Probably no need to worry about it but if the fungus smells of honey, then
other trees or shrubs could be at risk. I suggest you check it by smelling
it and if it does, look up 'Honey Fungus' in the archives of this group, or
come back for more help and info.

Unlikely to be honey fungus at this time of year, especially since it's
white. If you can post photos somewhere (remove a cap, upend it and
place it in the picture), you never know, you might have breakfast
there.

I can't think of any poisonous white mushroom which grows on wood. It
would also help to know what type of tree it was.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Martin Sykes 27-01-2004 11:12 PM

fungus

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
Unlikely to be honey fungus at this time of year, especially since it's
white. If you can post photos somewhere (remove a cap, upend it and
place it in the picture), you never know, you might have breakfast
there.

Does it look like white 'antlers'? I've got this at the moment on rotting
logs in my garden. I think its called Stagshorn fungus and is apparently
harmless.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

martin 27-01-2004 11:15 PM

fungus

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:20:24 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
Unlikely to be honey fungus at this time of year, especially since it's
white. If you can post photos somewhere (remove a cap, upend it and
place it in the picture), you never know, you might have breakfast
there.

Does it look like white 'antlers'? I've got this at the moment on rotting
logs in my garden. I think its called Stagshorn fungus and is apparently
harmless.

You wait until the rutting season.
--
Martin

Jaques d'Alltrades 27-01-2004 11:16 PM

fungus

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
Unlikely to be honey fungus at this time of year, especially since it's
white. If you can post photos somewhere (remove a cap, upend it and
place it in the picture), you never know, you might have breakfast
there.

Does it look like white 'antlers'? I've got this at the moment on rotting
logs in my garden. I think its called Stagshorn fungus and is apparently
harmless.

White Coral fungus is edible, wrinkled club is edible too, white
spindles is edible, but unlikely, being rare.

Stag's horn (looks like a white moose antler, black and hairy base.)
Grows on dead/rotten wood. Not edible.

Jaques d'Alltrades 27-01-2004 11:16 PM

fungus

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

Sacha 27-01-2004 11:42 PM

fungus

Jaques d'Alltrades27/1/04 6:49

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
richard colbourn27/1/04 5:21
.net

Fungus
Last year I cut a small tree down in my front garden and have a
white fungus
growing around tree grateful for any ideas to clean stump Thanks Richard

Probably no need to worry about it but if the fungus smells of honey, then
other trees or shrubs could be at risk. I suggest you check it by smelling
it and if it does, look up 'Honey Fungus' in the archives of this group, or
come back for more help and info.

Unlikely to be honey fungus at this time of year

snip

Probably/possibly so, but depending on where the OP lives, I wouldn't be
complacent if it were mine!
--

Sacha
(remove the 'xzy' to email me)

Jaques d'Alltrades 28-01-2004 01:16 AM

fungus

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Unlikely to be honey fungus at this time of year

snip

Probably/possibly so, but depending on where the OP lives, I wouldn't be
complacent if it were mine!

not much you can do about honey fungus except praise the Lord and eat it.