GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gelatinous goo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/47200-gelatinous-goo.html)

JKS 13-11-2003 05:12 PM

Gelatinous goo

A few years ago I found, on one or two occasions, a clear jelly like
substance on my lawn, sometimes draped over taller grass stalks. After a
few days it would turn brown, presumably from fungal growth.
Any ideas what it was?

John

---

Nick Maclaren 13-11-2003 05:22 PM

Gelatinous goo

In article ,
"JKS" writes:
| A few years ago I found, on one or two occasions, a clear jelly like
| substance on my lawn, sometimes draped over taller grass stalks. After a
| few days it would turn brown, presumably from fungal growth.
| Any ideas what it was?

The Nightmare Continues! What Is Waiting For You In Your Back
Yard? You Will Never Sleep Without The Light On Again!

The Invasion Of The Slime Moulds III

Seriously :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Tim Challenger 14-11-2003 08:22 AM

Gelatinous goo

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:02:49 +0000 (UTC), JKS wrote:

A few years ago I found, on one or two occasions, a clear jelly like
substance on my lawn, sometimes draped over taller grass stalks. After a
few days it would turn brown, presumably from fungal growth.
Any ideas what it was?

I agree with Nick, without a photo or more details, it does sound like a
slime mould.
Be very afraid.

Seriously, they're harmless and very interesting things especially under a
microscope.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

JKS 14-11-2003 09:12 AM

Gelatinous goo

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

The Nightmare Continues! What Is Waiting For You In Your Back
Yard? You Will Never Sleep Without The Light On Again!

The Invasion Of The Slime Moulds III

Seriously :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Just googled for slime mould - there was a photo of some at Wimpole a couple
of miles from here. It was similar to what was on my lawn.
How fast does this stuff grow and move? There must have been 5 - 10 ml of
it each time and it appeared in the middle of the lawn overnight.

Regards
John

---

Jim W 14-11-2003 10:34 AM

Gelatinous goo

JKS wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

The Nightmare Continues! What Is Waiting For You In Your Back
Yard? You Will Never Sleep Without The Light On Again!

The Invasion Of The Slime Moulds III

Seriously :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Just googled for slime mould - there was a photo of some at Wimpole a couple
of miles from here. It was similar to what was on my lawn.
How fast does this stuff grow and move? There must have been 5 - 10 ml of
it each time and it appeared in the middle of the lawn overnight.

The parts which you see, are known for their incredible speed of
growth/movment.. They are a speciality of their own..

Jim

Jaques d'Alltrades 14-11-2003 11:22 AM

Gelatinous goo

The message
from "JKS" contains these words:

Just googled for slime mould - there was a photo of some at Wimpole a couple
of miles from here. It was similar to what was on my lawn.
How fast does this stuff grow and move? There must have been 5 - 10 ml of
it each time and it appeared in the middle of the lawn overnight.

It will have been there for some time, growing, but it expands with a
heavy dew, wather like snot on your handkie - but in reverse.

--
Rusty Hinge
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/