Old 13-11-2003, 05:12 PM
JKS

Default Gelatinous goo

A few years ago I found, on one or two occasions, a clear jelly like
substance on my lawn, sometimes draped over taller grass stalks. After a
few days it would turn brown, presumably from fungal growth.
Any ideas what it was?

John

---

Old 13-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"JKS" writes:
| A few years ago I found, on one or two occasions, a clear jelly like
| substance on my lawn, sometimes draped over taller grass stalks. After a
| few days it would turn brown, presumably from fungal growth.
| Any ideas what it was?

The Nightmare Continues! What Is Waiting For You In Your Back
Yard? You Will Never Sleep Without The Light On Again!

The Invasion Of The Slime Moulds III

Seriously :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-11-2003, 08:22 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:02:49 +0000 (UTC), JKS wrote:

A few years ago I found, on one or two occasions, a clear jelly like
substance on my lawn, sometimes draped over taller grass stalks. After a
few days it would turn brown, presumably from fungal growth.
Any ideas what it was?

I agree with Nick, without a photo or more details, it does sound like a
slime mould.
Be very afraid.

Seriously, they're harmless and very interesting things especially under a
microscope.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 14-11-2003, 09:12 AM
JKS

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

The Nightmare Continues! What Is Waiting For You In Your Back
Yard? You Will Never Sleep Without The Light On Again!

The Invasion Of The Slime Moulds III

Seriously :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Just googled for slime mould - there was a photo of some at Wimpole a couple
of miles from here. It was similar to what was on my lawn.
How fast does this stuff grow and move? There must have been 5 - 10 ml of
it each time and it appeared in the middle of the lawn overnight.

Regards
John

---

Old 14-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Jim W

JKS wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

The Nightmare Continues! What Is Waiting For You In Your Back
Yard? You Will Never Sleep Without The Light On Again!

The Invasion Of The Slime Moulds III

Seriously :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Just googled for slime mould - there was a photo of some at Wimpole a couple
of miles from here. It was similar to what was on my lawn.
How fast does this stuff grow and move? There must have been 5 - 10 ml of
it each time and it appeared in the middle of the lawn overnight.

The parts which you see, are known for their incredible speed of
growth/movment.. They are a speciality of their own..

Jim

Old 14-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "JKS" contains these words:

Just googled for slime mould - there was a photo of some at Wimpole a couple
of miles from here. It was similar to what was on my lawn.
How fast does this stuff grow and move? There must have been 5 - 10 ml of
it each time and it appeared in the middle of the lawn overnight.

It will have been there for some time, growing, but it expands with a
heavy dew, wather like snot on your handkie - but in reverse.

--
Rusty Hinge
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Gelatinous Blobs Ade United Kingdom 22 10-09-2006 10:46 PM
Clear gelatinous goo new Lawns 0 09-09-2004 10:52 PM