Old 18-11-2003, 09:12 AM
d.boddey

Default Prunning

I have a winter flowering shrub called mahona (charity) can anyone tell me
when they should be prunned ,and can they be cut back hard.
It is about 6ft tall now

Derek Boddey

mobile-07971 572415

Old 18-11-2003, 11:02 AM
PK

d.boddey wrote:
I have a winter flowering shrub called mahona (charity) can anyone
tell me when they should be prunned ,and can they be cut back hard.
It is about 6ft tall now

Derek Boddey

Prune after flowering to behind the flower to prevent it getting leggy - as
yours seems to have done (;-).

I've cut mime back very hard before now and they seem to shrug it off very
quickly.

pk

Old 18-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "d.boddey" contains these words:

I have a winter flowering shrub called mahona (charity) can anyone tell me
when they should be prunned ,and can they be cut back hard.
It is about 6ft tall now

They can be cut back hard, but you would lose this winter's flowers,
so I'd wait until late spring to do it. Mine is flowering now, nice
scent too.

Janet.

Old 18-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Ian Wolfe

In message
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from "d.boddey" contains these words:

I have a winter flowering shrub called mahona (charity) can anyone tell me
when they should be prunned ,and can they be cut back hard.
It is about 6ft tall now

They can be cut back hard, but you would lose this winter's flowers,
so I'd wait until late spring to do it. Mine is flowering now, nice
scent too.

Gosh. Is that normal time for the West Coast? I don't expect mine for
another month at least.
--
Ian Wolfe.
Linlithgow. Birthplace of Mary, Queen of Scots.

Old 18-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Ian Wolfe contains these words:

In message
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from "d.boddey" contains these words:

I have a winter flowering shrub called mahona (charity) can anyone
tell me
when they should be prunned ,and can they be cut back hard.
It is about 6ft tall now

They can be cut back hard, but you would lose this winter's flowers,
so I'd wait until late spring to do it. Mine is flowering now, nice
scent too.

Gosh. Is that normal time for the West Coast? I don't expect mine for
another month at least.

Dunno, Ian, it's all experimental for me! Our last garden (in
Stirlingshire) was cold and mahonia Charity didn't flower there until
spring. Before we moved here a year ago I knew sheltered parts of Arran
are even milder than the Ayrshire coast, but the past year has been
exceptional. Last winter was particularly short and mild, followed by an
unusually early warm spring and unusually warm dry summer (dry by west
Scotland standards). Wonderful conditions for establishing plants in a
new garden, but I've still not got a clear idea of what to expect
"normally". This garden hasn't had a frost yet this autumn. Some summer
stuff is still in full bloom (fuchsias, verbenas, hebes, argyranthemum,
roses, shrubby salvias), ceanothus and prostanthera are blooming for
the second time this year, and mahonia and hellebores seem to be well
ahead of themselves.

Janet.(Isle of Arran)